function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
markl32markl32 

Need custom field from Accounts to replicate over to a field on Contacts

So I called SF Basic support and they said I need a formula to do what I need done, that they can't do formula, and that I should ask here...  So here I am. 

I am trying to filter contact views based on a custom field value in the contact's associated account record.  But Account custom fields don;t come up in the logic filter fields under contact views. 

So if I could pull in the field value (pick list) from the contacts associated account custom field then it would appear in my view logic filter, and I would be happy. 

So I have a account custom field named Account Relationship with multiple pick list text values.  How do I:

• Replicate the vales into a contact custom field
  • For all contacts associated with a given account

Thanks team. 

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Using the Formula Wizard create a custom Formula(Text) field on the Contact object.  

The formula would look something like

TEXT(ParentObjectName.ParentFieldName)

So in this case, if your Parent Object is the Account and the Account Field that you want to display/search in the Contact is "Region" then it would look like this.

TEXT(Account.Region__c)

markl32markl32

OK, tried the formula listed aboveThanks for thatI put in this:

TEXT(Account.Account_Relationship__c

and I get this error:

Error: Field Account_Relationship__c is a multi-select picklist field. Multi-select picklist fields are only supported in certain functions. Tell me more

Under "Tell me more" is says:

Picklist fields can only be used in the following functions:
  • ISPICKVALCompares the value of a picklist to a single value.
  • CASECompares the value of a picklist to multiple values.
  • TEXTConverts a picklist value into a text value so that you can work with the value in functions that support text value, such as CONTAINS. (Only available in formula fields, validation rules, and workflow field updates.)

According to the Tell me more help file it says that TEXT should be available to use with a pick list.  Any ideas

Message Edited by markl32 on 02-10-2010 12:28 PM
Steve :-/Steve :-/

Okay, we're gonna have to try something different then...  Multi-Picklists and Picklists are two totally different datatypes (and Multi-Picklists are basically Evil). 

MaryaMarya

I'm running into the same issue with a multi-picklist.  Any known workarounds or suggestions?

Thanks!!

mdavis.ax765mdavis.ax765

Ditto!

Did either of you figure anything out? I would hate to create multiple picklists.....

They show up as semicolon delimited on custom reports, so what gives!?

Thanks,

Mike

mdavis.ax765mdavis.ax765

Major props to David Carnes at OpFocus for the following solution ( http://www.opfocus.com/).....So good I have to plug his company.

"SFDC Help tells us that we can only use the following functions with Multi-Select Picklists.....

- Includes()
- IsBlank()
- IsNull()
- IsChanged() **Only in specific cases such as Validation Rules, etc
- PriorValue() **Only in specific cases such as Validation Rules, etc

Basically our hands are tied behind our backs, but like Houdini...with some creativity and concatenation (ok, he used concentration), we can use the Includes function to check for each possible value in a Multi-Select Picklist called "MS_Field__c" and in this case display the results separated by commas.

IF(INCLUDES(MS_Field__c,"Value 1"), "Value 1,", "") &
IF(INCLUDES(MS_Field__c,"Value 2"), "Value 2,", "") &
IF(INCLUDES(MS_Field__c,"Value 3"), "Value 3,", "")

The approach above will be tedious if your Multi-Select Picklist has a load of picklist values, but I don't see other options. In a quick test I confirmed that it will work with a Cross Object Formula as you described in your example. Depending on how big and complicated your overall formula is, you could be able to remove the extra comma at the end with some clever use of LEFT and LEN functions..."