function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AminYAminY 

Accessing user data from an ISV app

Hi,

I have a question about ISV apps. 

Is it possible to access users data from an ISV app?

I want to make REST calls to users account (after user installed the app)

I don't want to ask for users username, password or token. Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks in advance,

AminY

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
aalbertaalbert

Correct, as expected, the api requires authentication. So you need to be granted access to the user via OAuth. So I would built the oauth flow into your force.com app so your external component/app can security store their oauth tokens after they 'allow' your app to access it. 

All Answers

aalbertaalbert

Can you please elaborate on what you are trying to do? In general, the ISV app is installed into the customer's salesforce.com environment. The app can access User data since its within the same environment. But are you talking about something else? 

AminYAminY

I'm trying to access user data such as leads, etc, and then import them to another analytics application using REST calls.  Is that something possible?

aalbertaalbert

Yes, absolutely. All of the API documentation can be found here, including the REST api. 

AminYAminY

The problem is that I need user's credentials to be able to access data using REST APIs, am I right?

What happens when a new user installs my app on his salesforce account? How can I access the credentials needed for the REST calls to work?

aalbertaalbert

Correct, as expected, the api requires authentication. So you need to be granted access to the user via OAuth. So I would built the oauth flow into your force.com app so your external component/app can security store their oauth tokens after they 'allow' your app to access it. 

This was selected as the best answer
AminYAminY

Thank you very much. I should look into oAuth flows then.