+ Start a Discussion
e.lestradee.lestrade 

[LMA] Data loss if user uninstall then install package

When a user who has installed a package, uninstall it, the license is flagged as "unsinstall".

 

If he installs the package again, the license is reseted. The original expiration date and the seat count seems to be lost.

 

That leads to two disturbing consequences:

  • A user can use indefinitely a package in a trial period by installing it and uninstalling it regularly
  • We can not use LMA as a reliable back-office for license management as data on a real customer can be lost. If a user uninstall and install the package again, and comes to me asking the restoration of his license, I can not do it, even manually, because I have no data on his license anymore.

Is there something I misunderstood?

 

A_SmithA_Smith

Hi e.lestrade,

 

It is expected that the licensing terms reset on a fresh install.  Think about it this way.  If a user wants, they can sign up for a free salesforce trial (30 days), install your app in a trial state (let's say 30 day trial) and use it.  This process can be repeated indefinitely and there isnt' much we can do as the user can mask their identity when signing up for the salesforce trial in numerous ways.

 

That said, the issue of data migration, configuration, user provisioning, etc are usually deterrants for users wanting to do this.  If you have a specific customer where you think this is an issue, please log a case via the partner portal and we'll work with you to resolve the issue.  

 

On the auditing question, go into the license record and enable field history tracking on all the fields.  This way, you can see how the license has changed over time.  You can also add a numeric field to the license record; let's call it "Number of Installs".  Then create a workflow field update the that will increase the value by 1 everytime the license is created or updated.  I think this would give you a nice report to capture any abuse.

 

Hope that helps! 

e.lestradee.lestrade

<< If you have a specific customer where you think this is an issue, please log a case via the partner portal and we'll work with you to resolve the issue.  >>

 

Thank you but the issue was purely theoretical.

 

<<  go into the license record and enable field history tracking on all the fields >>

 

Good idea! I didn't think about that.

 

I will try that, thank you.

e.lestradee.lestrade

I've tested it. It works.

 

Thank you again.

 

For anyone reading this thread, here are the two things you have to do to start tracking changes, and to display these changes:

  • In Setup > Create > Objects, click License, section Custom Fields & Relationships, click Set History Tracking. Then choose the fields you want to track.
  • In Setup > Create > Objects, click License, section Page Layouts, click the link Edit of Edit License Layout. Then add a License History section in the Layout.