function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
tawfik-haitawfik-hai 

force opportunity stage update everytime the opportunity is updated

hAnyone knows how to make the opportunity stage field asks for update everytime the opportunity is updated

thanks so much!!

Amber NeillAmber Neill

Try this

IF(AND($User.IsActive = true, NOT(ISCHANGED(Stage))))

That could have too many or not enough parenthesis, but will always fire anytime the oppty is modified.

Good luck!
Amber

tawfik-haitawfik-hai

Thanks Amber.  But does this allow a user to re select the old stage if this business case is so or it could not be the same one?

Amber NeillAmber Neill

Yes, they could select a previous stage.  Is that what you want or not?

Thanks,

Amber

tawfik-haitawfik-hai

It does not allow the user to re select the same stage.

for example, if the stage is 30%, and the user edits the opportunity, the validation rule will ask him to edit the stage.

If he selects 30% again (becuase it is the business case) this rule will continue to be triggered and the user could not save.

If the rule was something like (AND($User.IsActive=True, NOT(ISEDITED(StageName)))) , it may have worked.

Is there a function to recognize "editing" rather changing fields.

thanks!!!

Amber NeillAmber Neill

Well, you've stumped me!  I thought ISCHANGED did just that. Sorry about that!

Maybe someone else can chime in and help. 
Sorry I couldn't be more useful!

Amber

Steve :-/Steve :-/

I'm not sure why you want to have this rule (what does the user do if they need to update something like the Close Date, Amount, or fix a typo, but the Stage really has not changed?)

Anyway, if you insist...

AND(NOT(IsClosed),NOT(ISCHANGED(StageName)))

tawfik-haitawfik-hai

Just needed a reminder that when close date or other data in the opportunity get changed/updated, the satge should be updated.

Okay that's different, for that we would need a list of all of the fields and conditions that you need to trigger this VR.  Forcing users to just arbitrarily change the Opportunity.Stage any time that they make any edit to the Opportunity would be bad news... (unless you take the bus to work and don't have to worry about your users slashing your tires and keying your car).

tawfik-haitawfik-hai

Okay, lets say when the Close date is updated, the Stage field to be updated (but existing stage could be re selected).

So you want to make them update the Stage, but they don't have to change the Stage?  I think you might be better off just creating a Workflow Rule with a Task to remind them to update the Stage, rather than doing this with a VR (unless your SFDC.org is on PE or GE and you can't use Workflow Rules).  

I would also seriously consider pushing this one back on the person who is requesting it.  I mean it seems like one of those "busy work" requirements that is gonna breed a lot of animosity among your users.