function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
pelkins@parallepelkins@paralle 

copying environments

Hi,

I have a dev account now.  Another user has a production account.  The prod account uses custom objects.  I want to copy these objects from the prod to the dev accounts and test some code against these custom objects using the Enterprise API.  I know I could create the custom objects manually, but this would invalidate my testing.  How can I get the environment copied to my own account?  If I cannot do that, then how can I get just the custom object(s) copied over?

Thx,
Paul
DevAngelDevAngel
Hi pelkins,

We are currently working on a sync process using the eclipse plugin.  It currently only syncs code (classes, triggers and scontrols), but metadata is on the roadmap currently.

Since that doesn't help you right now, you could, from within the production account, create a package that contains the custom objects and create a private listing as a custom app.  Installing that custom app into your dev account should create all the custom objects for you.

You'll have to deal with the data using dataloader or something similar.

Cheers
pelkins@parallepelkins@paralle
 Thank you Dave,

Can you direct me to info on how to 1) create a package that contains the custom objects and 2) create a private listing as a custom app 3)Installing that custom app

Paul
aezellaezell
Paul,
I've not actually packaged anything myself, but there is a whole section on the wiki about it.

http://wiki.apexdevnet.com/index.php/Packaging

/alex
GregCGregC

Paul,

There is a whole section on this in the online help in the app.  You can create an unmanaged package and easily move the objects over.  Open help, select Contents, select Exchange and the instructions are all there.

Greg