function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sparkysparky 

eclipse/subclipse issues w/ newly-created triggers/classes

Anyone else out there using Eclipse with both the apex toolkit and Subclipse to write apex code and store it in an svn repository?  (I thnk some of you SF employees are doing that, yes?)

We've run into a problem that we're hoping someone else has already figured out.  It may be just an area in which subclipse & the apex plugin don't play well together, but we're guessing there's a way to make it work.

The situation is:
* we've got a small handful of developers collaborating on code within a single SF instance
* all our apex classes/triggers have been committed to svn
* all of my colleagues and I have checked out the project to our own eclipse instances
* as long as we're editing an existing file, it works pretty much as expected
* however, if one of us creates a new trigger or class, that causes problems
    * our current M.O. is periodically (after making sure our own recent changes have been saved to SF & committed to svn) doing an apex "Refresh Folder" on the entire Triggers and Classes folders.  This brings over to my local eclipse project any newly-created code that someone else has created since the last time I synced.
   * however, at that point my local eclipse somehow isn't aware that that file already exists in the svn repository as well, although my colleague has already committed it
   * the new file shows a "?" for its svn status, and most of the svn commands (Update, Syncrhonize, etc.) are disabled
   * one of the only commands available is Add To Version Control, but if I do that Eclipse from then on is confused about that file (it shows a + for its svn status, and still won't let me Update - gives me a name conflict error, seems to think there are two files w/ the same name in the repository, although I can verify that there aren't)
* the only other way we've found to get subclipse to recognize the new code is to delete the entire project, then re-Check Out from svn, which creates a brand new eclipse project including all the latest files.  The problem here is that eclipse seems to re-save all the triggers/classes to SF at this point.  This poses a real issue if one of my colleagues is working on some code and hasn't yet committed it back to svn.  If that's the case, it gets overwritten with the older version.

So how can we use these tools in a team enviornment and handle new triggers/classes? 

gokubigokubi
I think we figured out the issue above by getting the new file from the apex project, right clicking on it, and replacing it with the latest from the repository. That seems to connect the text file with the svn repository version.

We're also noticing that if you Refresh from Server (sf.com) all the sf.com files are touched, and are replaced with the latest svn file.

anyone notice this?

Thanks,
Steve