function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GoForceGoGoForceGo 

Protecting Intellectual Property - Apex Code/S-Controls

If I build an App on Force.com, my understanding is that the code is visible to anyone who downloads the application.

Any way of protecting the IP you create?

ciccic

Correct with current release.  What is happening on this depends on what code you are talking about:

Scontrols and JavaScript will never be IPR protected.  Isn't possible with scripted languages on browsers.  Try using a JavaScript obsfucator for a partial solution.

Apex Code (as I understand it) will be IPR protected when Salesforce give us the means to ship it via the AppExchange.  The end user will see the public API - but not the code source.  We await the release to see the details......

GoForceGoGoForceGo
Can't Apex code be published through AppExchange today? I downloaded Time-Off-Manager and it does have Apex triggers in it. Someone at salesforce said that managed packages hide the code (Time-off-Manager is unmanaged).

So can a managed package today protect IP ?

ciccic
No it can't.   Time Off Manager is a "special". It is likely (when released) only managed code will be packageable into ApexExchange.
GoForceGoGoForceGo
I was told Apex code will be publishable in Spring release to all editions - today it can be done only to Unlimited edition.

ciccic

Apex Code can be installed into Unlimited Edition and Enterprise Edition with Power Pack because they both permit code authoring (like a developer account).  It is installed using Ant or Eclipse - not AppExchange.  Code cannot be transfered through AppExchange yet (Time Off Manager being an exception).  So for now the Apex Code is visible to the end user.  We believe the AppExchange code will have to be managed and code will be hidden from the end user - but we are awaiting the details.

GoForceGoGoForceGo
Can it be installed on Enterprise Edition? I was told only in Unlimited edition today...

ciccic
if they have "power pack" - at extra cost
GoForceGoGoForceGo
Does anyone know when Visual Force will GA - when a developer will be able to include it in a real world app (presumably through AppExchange)

ciccic

I don't think we can expect GA of VF before summer 2008.  Nothing definative on this has come from sfdc.   A lot of people are keen to use it asap.

Being able to bundle into AppExchange apps is a different thing.  That often lags 1-2 seasons behind GA.

GoForceGoGoForceGo
Assuming it GA's in Summer 2008, what does it mean? If there is no AppExchange, Will there be an alterate way for customers to import applications?