function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ChristinChristin 

Validation Restricts Stage Field Values via Custom Pick List

I have a custom picklist field called Suppliers and I'm trying to create a validation that would allow me to restrict the Stage field values when a specific Supplier pick list value is selected. I have not had any luck to date. Does anyone have an example of a validation that may work?

Shilpa_SFShilpa_SF

Hi,

This validation can be acheived using the Validation rules on the Object. Fo reference please find the help for the Validation rules in the below link

Login to your Dev org :

https://www..salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?loc=help&target=fields_useful_field_validation_formulas.htm&section=Customizing

tantotanto

Hi Christin,

Are you trying to enforce that users only pick certain values from the Stage picklist or do you want to control what is displayed and available for selection? You can create a validation rule that says if certain Supplier value is selected users must select certain stages, however, it would probably be better for your users if you restrict what is displayed. This can be done by setting up field dependencies. The dependency can say if the Supplier is A, B, or C then Stage only displayes 1, 2, 3 or if Supplier is D or F than Stage displayes 1 or 4 (just a rough example). Since the dependency controls what is dispayed in the Stage field then users will not have the option of selecting a value that is not available.