function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
anan 

Roll up summary field that calculates values of other roll up summary fields

Hi,

Online help says "Roll-up summary fields cannot calculate the values of other roll-up summary fields except for account to opportunity roll-up summary fields, which allow you to calculate the values of opportunity roll-up summary fields."

I have three objects A, B and C. A is a master of B and B is a master of C. In object B there is a roll-up summary field X that sums the values from the field in C. Despite of what online help says I was able to create a roll-up summary field in object A that sums the values in the field X.

Did I misunderstood something or are there some potential problems if I use roll-up summary field to calculate values of other roll-up summary fields?

imuino2imuino2

Roll-up summary fields are calculated every time an object is inserted or updated.

So every time you create or update a C object X Roll-up summary field will be updated with the new value.

The problem is if A to B Roll-up summary field is updated too or not, despite X will be updated and that should calculate A to B Roll-up summary field

i'm not sure that will happend, or if that could create any conflict.

You can try this, create a new C object, check if X is updated to the new value, and then check if the A to B Roll-up summary field is updated too.

Ignacio.