function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RobKretzRobKretz 

Need assistance with Validation Rule in Opportunities

We have multiple users ( sales, egineering, customer service, mangement) with different profiles operating in our CRM. I would like to create a validation rule In the Opportunities Tab -Stage - ( picklist) "Proposal". What I want this rule to do is, whenever the Stage is changed to Proposal- A notification e-mail will be sent to the Opportunity Owner. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Steve :-/Steve :-/

If you want to have the WFR Trigger only if the Opportunity Stage remains unchanged for 15 Days you're gonna have to do a few extra things.  

With that in mind you might want to consider some much easier to deploy options.  You could create an Execption Report that displays ALL Open Opportunities with a Stage Duration >= 15.  Then schedule the Report to run first thing Monday Morning every week, delivered to all users.   

We do this on our SFDC.Org for Pipeline Updates, Lapsed Opportunities, etc.  

We also use WFR's with Email Alerts and Tasks, so I might be able to help you out there if you still wanna go down that road.

All Answers

SurekaSureka

Hi,

You can make use of Workflow email alert to acheive this functionality.

Create a workflow rule with this criteria - Opportunity Stage equals Proposal.

Create a workflow email alert and schedule to send the mail to opportunity owner.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Which Edition of SFDC are you using?  If you're on EE or UE you can create a Workflow Rule that triggers an Email Alert, if you're on another SFDC Edition, then you'll have to try something else.  

Here are some Tip Sheets to help get you started

https://na2.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_workflow_cheatsheet.pdf  

https://na2.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_useful_workflow_rules.pdf

RobKretzRobKretz

Thank you both! I was able to create the rule. Working like a charm.

RobKretzRobKretz

Looking at something new-

Need a  rule formula for:

If the Stage ( stage duration) hasn't been modified in 2 weeks, an email alert will be sent to the Opportunity Owner -

I have the email alert set up already.

Thanks in advance!

You probably want a Workflow Rule with a Time Dependant Workflow Action.

RobKretzRobKretz

I came across this in the Solutions Found section in H&T

Since last modified date is not available in workflow rules, you can not simply create a workflow rule based on "NOW = Last Modified Date." Also, since workflow rules require the criteria to change in order to have it fire, you can not use Last Modified By not equal to "".

WHAT WORKS:
Create a formula field to determine the time difference between NOW and Last Modified Date. You then trigger a workflow rule whenever this value is very small (or equal to zero.)

Setup | Customize | <object> | Fields | New

FIELD TYPE: Formula
FIELD NAME: Last Modified Timespan
FORMULA RETURN TYPE:Number
DECIMAL PLACES: 5
FORMULA: NOW() -{!LastModifiedDate}

Then set the workflow trigger to be:

Last Modified Timespan | less than | .00001

(How would this look for a 2 week period?)

Also, make sure the workflow rule will trigger whenever the record is created and/or modified.

If you want to have the WFR Trigger only if the Opportunity Stage remains unchanged for 15 Days you're gonna have to do a few extra things.  

With that in mind you might want to consider some much easier to deploy options.  You could create an Execption Report that displays ALL Open Opportunities with a Stage Duration >= 15.  Then schedule the Report to run first thing Monday Morning every week, delivered to all users.   

We do this on our SFDC.Org for Pipeline Updates, Lapsed Opportunities, etc.  

We also use WFR's with Email Alerts and Tasks, so I might be able to help you out there if you still wanna go down that road.

This was selected as the best answer
RobKretzRobKretz

I like the sound of that.

Say I create this Exception Report for Opp's Stage Duration >= 15. This report runs and is delivered to all users -

I don't want to clutter my users inboxes with Reports and/or e-mail alerts and tasks.

I like the idea of a report, although if  an email alert is fired off saying, " Please update/comment on this Opportunity, etc"  that'd be ideal.

Could this be achieved? Instead of the Exception Report being e-mailed,  we had the email alert..

Again, I'm trying to better understand these processes. Apologies for any redundancy.

Okay therein lies the proverbial rub...  you can make your life easy by going with the Scheduled-Emailed Report, or you can make your Users life easy by going with a Workflow/Email.  (we actually use both).  

On our SFDC.org the Report is sent out once a week (so it's hardly "Death by Email") and as I tell the Users "If you open the Email and you don't see your name on the Report then you don't have any stalled Opportunities so you've got nothing to worry about"  

(or as I say "click-open-read-delete-done").  

The other nice thing about the report is that it gives the Team Leaders a way to hold people's feet to the fire about updating their Opportunity Pipeline.  

We also have an Email Alert that is sent to the Users 15 Days in advance to give them a reminder (and a chance to keep their name from showing up in the Report).

RobKretzRobKretz

Okay. I guess having the Report fired off is the better option- I'll just exclude the e-mail alert. Trust me. Too many e-mails out - too many complaints in.  Practical is the name of the game here.  I'll test this for a few  weeks and evaluate then.

Can I create this Exception Report in the Report tab like I would any other? No funny business?

Yeah it's just a plain vanilla Opportunity Summary Report.  I usually select Grouped by Team, then Opportunity Owner.  

The Report Filters I use are:  

Opportunity Status: Open 

Filtered By:  Stage Duration  [greater or equal]  15

RobKretzRobKretz

I really appreciate your help. Thank you !

No problem, you owe me a beer...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971/