function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PBS_IC786PBS_IC786 

Eclipse IDE issues

Can anyone tell me how to fix the following issue with Eclipse?

I get the error message:
Unable to load Scontrol Editor
FactoryException: No id found for filepath 'S-Controls/MyControl.scf'

This is happening ever since I installed the latest version of Eclipse (3.3/Europa) in order to get the Force.com toolkit.  I followed the Wiki to do a new install (this was recommended) even though I had an older version of Eclipse (3.2 I think) with all of my code there.  When I installed the new version that is called Java IDE as indicated on the Wiki, I get this error every time I try to open any of my scontrols.  When I installed the Europa (3.3) version of Eclipse it asked me where I wanted to have my workspace and I pointed it to where all of my old projects in the last version of Eclipse were...could this be the issue?  Please advise on how to proceed as I am stuck and need to do some Apex coding to update my app....

Thanks in advance for any help...

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ron HessRon Hess
When installing Eclipse 3.3 and the new Eclipse toolkit, you will have to create new projects as the formats that the IDE lays down for a Force.com project is not exactly the same (rev to rev)

So, i suggest you start with a fresh workspace directory for the new version, and then pull down new copies of the projects that you need to work on. It's not much work and you can keep the old directory around to compare against if needed.

So far, i have 4 coppies of eclipse, each with it's own workspace: one for flexbuilder, one for old stuff (8.0 API) , one for current stuff (11.1) , and one for next rev (spring 08 12.0).

These all live on the same system and have different versions of the toolkit/eclipse and different workspace folders.

All Answers

Ron HessRon Hess
When installing Eclipse 3.3 and the new Eclipse toolkit, you will have to create new projects as the formats that the IDE lays down for a Force.com project is not exactly the same (rev to rev)

So, i suggest you start with a fresh workspace directory for the new version, and then pull down new copies of the projects that you need to work on. It's not much work and you can keep the old directory around to compare against if needed.

So far, i have 4 coppies of eclipse, each with it's own workspace: one for flexbuilder, one for old stuff (8.0 API) , one for current stuff (11.1) , and one for next rev (spring 08 12.0).

These all live on the same system and have different versions of the toolkit/eclipse and different workspace folders.
This was selected as the best answer
Bernard FarrellBernard Farrell
I'm experiencing several issues with the Force.com Eclipse toolkit. I'm using Eclipse 3.3.1.1 and Force.com 11.1.1.
  1. I can't add new custom objects via the web interface. When I try the Apply Server to Project operation I get a null pointer error. I can get around this by adding an empty object file on my local drive and refreshing the Eclipse workspace. Then the Apply works.
  2. Differences aren't always handled correctly. I've made changes to the local file and then tried the Apply Project to Server operation. None of my changes are transferred.
  3. Miscellaneous synchronization errors. The synchronize often fails and only suceeds after repeated attempts. When I can find out more about the issue that caused the failure?
I'd appreciate any suggestions for fixing these problems.
inbaljS2inbaljS2

Hi Bernard,

I am experiencing the same problem only with eclipse 3.5 version and the new IDE summer 10 version,

did you find any solution for that problem?

I try to save to server and receive the error "Save error: Associate metadata or source file failed to save. File only saved locally, not to salesforce"

At this time I decided to try "synchronize with server", and nothing actually was changed.

More than that I can't copy from local to server even if I press on "Apply Project to Server".

any suggestions- anyone?

Thanks,

Inbal

paul-lmipaul-lmi

you should just be hitting the Save button, or CTRL+S to save content to the server.  you can also use the Save to Server option in the Force.com context submenu, but anything else is probably not something they put in native support for.

inbaljS2inbaljS2

Thanks!

I had errors on my code so it didn't let me save it - you were right just ctrl+s do the job.

stunaitestunaite

Basically the Force IDE doesn't work with JRE 7. Just downgrade to JRE 6 .

Doesn't make sense SFDC doesn't warn about that in Force iDE installation page.

Hope it helps.

Joao