function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ken_devken_dev 

Deploy Custom Objects to Production from Eclipse

Anyone know a way to deploy my custom objects to Production with Eclipse?
Is this possible through Eclipse? Or are we forced to set them up manually? 

I've also created and tested Email Templates in my development environment and would like to deploy them to production. Is there a deployment method for this?
Or do the email templates need to be created manually in each environment?

thanks,
ken

Message Edited by ken_dev on 01-18-2008 07:52 AM
cwall_sfdccwall_sfdc
Hey ken_dev.  The current release of the Force.com IDE and Metadata API do not support deploying Custom Objects to project.  Only Visualforce Pages, Apex Code and S-Controls are supported.  The next release will support all types including Email Templates.

-Chris

Message Edited by cwall_sfdc on 01-21-2008 09:43 AM
nitesurfernitesurfer
Hello,

Has the new version come out yet to support bulding custom object through IDE and deploy to multiple instances?

A similar posting made it sound possible as shown below:

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=scontrols&thread.id=1992

How can I deploy custom fields in Standard objects from Sandbox to Production?

Hi,

I have added about 100 custom fields in the standard Account object in sandbox . How can we deploy these 100 fields to Production? I tried from eclipse IDE(force.com IDE) but did not find the Account object XML to deploy. Currently the only way I can think of is to manually create these 100 custom fields in production.

Appreciate all help in this.

Regards,              Ambili

05-12-2008 09:33 AM

JonP
Regular Contributor

Ambili,

You can include standard objects in your Force.com IDE projects in either of two ways:

1. Add the custom fields on a standard object to a package.  This will create a .object file for the standard obejct, containing only the custom fields on that standard object that are in the package, e.g. src/MyPackageName/objects/Account.object

2. Add the name of the fields or the object to src/unpackaged/package.xml.  Warning: Be cautious not to inadvertantly damage your production Field-Level Security settings.  See note below.

- Option A. Add a CustomField type section:

<types>
  <members>Account.MyCustomFieldName1__c</members>
  <members>Account.MyCustomFieldName2__c</members>
  <name>CustomField</name>
</types>

- Option B. Add the standard object name to the CustomObject type section:

<types>
  <members>*</members>
  <members>Account</members>
  <name>CustomObject</name>
</types>

NOTE: Adding a standard object to the CustomObject section will cause your .profile files to contain Field-Level Security information for all standard and custom fields on the standard object, the next time you refresh your profiles folder from the server.  If you deploy such a .profile file to your production org, you will overwrite these Field-Level Security settings.

This should let you do what you need, just be careful about FLS!

Jon

JonPJonP
Yes, custom objects have been supported since Winter '08 and email templates were introduced in Spring '08.  The latest release is Summer '08.

You can see what was in each release on the release notes page and instructions for upgrading are located here.