function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mleblancmleblanc 

Compiled formula is too big to execute

I am having trouble with a simple formula:

QAType__c & " - " & QARegion__c & " - " & QAPractice__c

I am just trying to consolidate 3 text strings from different custom fields.  The largest the value would be is 50 charcters.  Yet, this is saying I am excedding the 5,000 character limit??

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Michelle

mleblancmleblanc

I guess this is because it is using the formula for the fields I used, not the value.

So, on to the next question...

Can you create a custom field that = the value of another field.  Text to text???

TCAdminTCAdmin
Mleblanc,

Unfortunately this is a common issue.  The easiest way to do this is by using a Field Update but you have to be Enterprise Edition.  You would want to set a workflow that triggers everytime a record is saved which can place the value in a seperate field.  Then that field can be used in the formula.

Your other options include using a custom link (Professional Edition) to update the records through a URL link or use a sControl (Enterprise Edition) that will populate the extra field each time the record is opened.

Message Edited by TCAdmin on 04-28-2007 06:51 PM

Alan.MarcusAlan.Marcus

I think Salesforce keeps some field logic in it's cache for a full day (that's a battle for another day).  I just create a new field with the same formula and get success.  My colleagues do this as well since this happens often when modifying formula fields with formula fields in the formula (formulas of formulas).

Anyone else have a better way?