function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Wave23Wave23 

Birthdate

I'm trying to create a workflow so that I'm notified 5 days prior to my Contact's birthdate.  I'm currently using the formula LEN( TEXT( PersonBirthdate )) <> 0 that alerts me only on the actual birthdate.

Please help.

Steve :-/Steve :-/

If think you need to create a Workflow Rule with Time Dependant Workflow Action.  How are you storing their Birthdate?  Do you have a custom Field?  If you do what is the Datatype and the Format of the field?  

Wave23Wave23

Thank you for your response.  I have setup custom field as "birthdate" using the "date" data type.

Okay this should work for you then: 

https://na3.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/workflow_examples.htm#HappyBday  

Contact Birthday Reminder

This example assumes there is a Next Birthday custom formula field that uses the following formula to calculate the date of the contact's next birthday on contact records:

IF(MONTH(Birthdate)>MONTH(TODAY()),DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(Birthdate),DAY(Birthdate)),
IF(MONTH(Birthdate)<MONTH(TODAY()),DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+1,MONTH(Birthdate),DAY(Birthdate)),
IF(DAY(Birthdate) >= (DAY(TODAY())),DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(Birthdate),DAY(Birthdate)),
DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+1,MONTH(Birthdate),DAY(Birthdate)))))
Object
Contact
Description
Send an email to the contact two days before the contact's birthday.
Evaluation Criteria
Only when a record is created.
Rule Criteria (Filter)
Run this rule if the following formula evaluates to true:
(Contact: Birthdate not equal to null) and 
(Contact: Email not equal to null)
Immediate Actions
None.
Time-Dependent Actions
2 Days Before Contact: Next Birthday
Email Alert: Send a birthday greeting to the contact's email address.
Wave23Wave23

Stevemo,

Thank you for the information.  I've tried copying and pasting the formula below into the field as well as using the functions provided in "Insert Field", "Insert Operator" and "Functions" but I continue to get Syntax errors.  Also, I'd like the email alert to be sent to me as opposed to the contact.

Thanks for all your help

(Contact: Birthdate not equal to null) and 
(Contact: Email not equal to null)

What is the syntax error that you are getting?  Can you post a screenshot?

Wave23Wave23

Just to clarify a bit, the birthdate is actually tied to an Account

Here's the error I got when copying and pasting the formula:

Account: Birthdate not equal to null Account: Email not equal to null

Error: Syntax error. Found 'Account:'

Wait is this an Account or a Contact?  In your first post you said "I'm trying to create a workflow so that I'm notified 5 days prior to my Contact's birthdate." and now you're saying that it's on the Account.

Wave23Wave23

Here's the other syntax error I got when using the functions....I hop this helps.

Birthdate__pc <> NULLVALUE(expression, substitute_expression) PersonEmail <> NULLVALUE(expression, substitute_expression)

Error: Syntax error. Extra PersonEmail

Wave23Wave23

According to Salesforce, with the version I have, my Contacts are actually considered Accounts....It can be confusing

Which Edition of SFDC are you using?

Wave23Wave23

Wealth Management

Wealth Management is really an Edition of SFDC, it's a feature within SFDC.  In the Title Bar of your browser it should say which Edition You're using Enterprise, Unlimited, Developer, etc...

Wave23Wave23

I have the Enterprise edition

So you created a custom field on the Account object for the person's birthdate???  I don't understand why don't you just use the standard Contact.Birthdate field???

Wave23Wave23

The Wealth Management version doesn't have a "Contacts" tab; it's replaced with a tab called "Clients" which basically serves the same purpose.  However, any changes for this tab need to made to "Accounts".    I am using the "Birthdate" field provided within the "Clients" tab

max4904max4904

I am trying to get this setup and working too.  I have the next birthdate field on the contact record, but the workflow rule never seems to fire.  Is there a way to use the System Log or some other tool to see if the rule is or isn't firing?