function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jen_CJen_C 

Want to see only certain fields

Hi there,

my problem is..

Using the contact record as an example, if a contact is actually an employee of the company I work for and thus is marked as 'Internal' in the "type of contact" pick list. I only want certain fields to be available to fill in.

Depending on the first selection of type from the drop down list, determines what fields appear to be filled in.

Is this possible?

Also, would it be possible to only attach some related lists to some contact records? for example, if the contact is internal, then internal projects related list needs to be attached to the record.... but only to the record marked internal and not other external records.

Is this possible??? Help really would be appreciated!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SporterSporter

Hi Jen,

You can use record types and workflows to achieve what you want (Enterprise, Unlimited Edition only), so taking your example of Internal and lets say External as the other example.

You create two record types for Contact in Setup, Internal and External, you then create 2 page layouts to correspond to each of these and assign them to their respective record types. On each of the page layouts you can then customize them to have whatever fields and related lists you want for Internal and External contacts. (Any records in the system currently will need to be changed to their relevant record type although if you read below I have a solution for that)

Now further to my above example what happens if a contact suddenly is changed from Internal to External you obviously want the record type to change to meet this change of the picklist value, this can be done using 2* workflow rules with a field update on each. (* this number is dependent on the number of record types you have)

If you need advice on the setup of the workflow let us know.

All Answers

SporterSporter

Hi Jen,

You can use record types and workflows to achieve what you want (Enterprise, Unlimited Edition only), so taking your example of Internal and lets say External as the other example.

You create two record types for Contact in Setup, Internal and External, you then create 2 page layouts to correspond to each of these and assign them to their respective record types. On each of the page layouts you can then customize them to have whatever fields and related lists you want for Internal and External contacts. (Any records in the system currently will need to be changed to their relevant record type although if you read below I have a solution for that)

Now further to my above example what happens if a contact suddenly is changed from Internal to External you obviously want the record type to change to meet this change of the picklist value, this can be done using 2* workflow rules with a field update on each. (* this number is dependent on the number of record types you have)

If you need advice on the setup of the workflow let us know.

This was selected as the best answer
Jen_CJen_C

Do the page layouts have to be assigned to different users? All users in the system need access to all the different contact types.

Is there a way of one user being able to see all record types?

Thanks for your help so far :)

SporterSporter

Iif you go to any profile on your org you will have a section dedicated to each object for record types available for use however to see a record type the user does not need access to it.

The record types available on a users profile would be the ones they can use when creating a new contact or what they can change the record type to.

For example, Person A with Profile A has access to Contact Record Type Internal, Person B with Profile B has access to External record type. Both of them can see any record in eithe record type but when creating new contacts then can only use the record types they have assigned however a workflow rule as mentioned earlier would run and change the record type based on the picklist field you have stating "Internal" or "External".

(External is just an example of another value in the picklist you may have others)

Jen_CJen_C

Thanks!

One more question now... I promise!

Can all this be applied to a custom object?

say for example, I created a custom object for "projects" but there are 3 different types of layout I'd need (for 3 different types of projects) - would it be possible to do the same with what I've done previously?

SporterSporter

I can't see anything that would change with the custom object which would stop you doing the same thing.

Jen_CJen_C

great!! thank you! :smileyvery-happy: