function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
billkatbillkat 

Calculating a price, formula troubles...

Hi all,

Delving into formulas for the first time and having trouble. We have a List Price field, on a custom object, and a 'Customer Price' field. What I want to do in essence is:

"if customer price field is empty, calculate it (e.g. list price * 0.9), else do nothing"

I've tried putting a formula in the Customer Price, but get "Error: Formula cannot use another formula field that directly or indirectly refers to itself". Tried this below as a start point (not sure how to "do nothing" in an IF() as well:

IF (
ISBLANK(Customer_Price__c),
Customer_Price__c = List_Price__c * 0.9,
Customer_Price__c = Customer_Price__c
)

So then I tried putting a formula on the List Price field instead. But there I get an error "field may not be used in this type of formula" ...

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Try the following:-

IF (ISBLANK(Customer_Price__c), Customer_Price__c = List_Price__c * 0.9, Customer_Price__c = 0.0)

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

billkatbillkat

Thanks Ispita. I tried it by applying it to the List Price field, I hope this is the right approach.

I tried it against a number firld and a currency field, just in case it mattered.

For both I get: "Error: Field myfield__c may not be used in this type of formula"

Regards

Bill

What is the datatype of this field??

billkatbillkat

List Price is Number(16, 2)
I tried putting formulas in that field to act against fields of types Number(7, 2)   and   Currency(7, 2)

Both gave 'Field x may not be used in this type of formula'

In case the field is of the type number then you can try using ISNULL(fieldname).

Hope this helps.

billkatbillkat

Still get the same I'm afraid. I think I'll call in someone else to have a look, there must be something I'm doing wrong.

Many thanks for your help Ispita, much appreciated -

cheers

Bill