function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ApplauseguyApplauseguy 

Concatenation problem with Picklist Fields

Hi.  I'm in the process of parsing our First and Last name fields, removing Middle initials from first name and Generation and suffix data from the last name field.  I will be creating new custom fields to house this parsed data and need to cancatenate them back into a final full name field.  We work with attorneys, and correct presentation is critical.

Here is a sample of my data after parsing.  The Null's are actually empty values in SFDC but appear in these sql samples because they are formula results.

FullNameFirstNMIddleNLastNGenSuf
Veronica G. Kayne, Esq.VeronicaG.KayneNULLEsq.
Richard C. Nelson, Esq.RichardC.NelsonNULLEsq.
Angel Gomez, III, Esq.Angel GomezIIIEsq.
David Jacobs, Esq.David JacobsNULLEsq.

The FullName field above represents how I need the data to look after concatenation.  I am trying to perform the creation of this string in a Workflow rule Action step. 

Here is my current attempt:

FirstName &Case(Len(Name_Middle__c),0,""," " &  Name_Middle__c) &" "& LastName & " " & CASE(Name_Generation__C,"",CASE(Name_Suffix__C,"","",CASE(Name_Generation__C,"","",", " & Name_Generation__C & ", " & Name_Suffix__C)))

It generates this error on Syntax check

Error: Field Name_Generation__c is a picklist field. Use it with an ISPICKVAL() or CASE() function instead. Error: Field Name_Generation__c is a picklist field. Use it with an ISPICKVAL() or CASE() function instead.

I have tried numerous itterations of Case, If, and IsPickVAl to no avail.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Holm
Rust Consulting Inc