function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
gsickalgsickal 

Unable to redeploy force.com component due to operation timeout

I am trying to redeploy an sforce component using the latest toolkit plugin for eclipse and when I do this I get the following error message:

Unable to deploy force.com components.
Reason:
ServiceException: Operation time out - polling limited (300000 milliseconds) reached
Operation time out - polling limited (300000 milliseconds) reached
  com.salesforce.toolkit.ui.wizards.deploy.DeploymentResultsPage$1.run (DeploymentResultsPage.java 66)
  org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run (ModalContext.java 113)

Why is this happening?  Is there an eclipse setting I can change to fix this?  thanks
mikefmikef
One thing you can do, and this is just a band aid to the problem, is edit the package.xml file in the project.

So create a new Force.com project but make sure you click the next button in the project wizard after you enter in your user info.
Make sure the 'Fetch remote components into Force.com project' check box is unchecked.

What this will do is create a shell project for you.

Then edit the package.xml file that is in the unpackaged directory.
Take out all the stuff you don't need.

Here is mine:
Code:
<—xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"–>
<Package xmlns="http://soap.sforce.com/2006/04/metadata">
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>ApexClass</name>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>ApexTrigger</name>
    </types>
    <version>12.0</version>
</Package>

I am developing on a really big org that has lots of metadata, and I get the timeout all the time.
Doing this will limit the amount of stuff that comes back.

Now I know this is not an ideal solution this is just a work around but I hope you can use it to get going.