function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
vspvsp 

Custom app, workflow, profiles, layouts in the package

Hi,

I am interested to know if the following can be packaged and uploaded (to be part of the downloadable app), and if so how:

1) Workflow rules, tasks, alerts
2) Email templates
3) Customized page layouts of standard objects (such as Opportunity)
4) New profiles created to specify access/security settings on custom/standard objects - I was able to upload Profile settings but while mapping the setting to an existing profile on the downloading account, does all local settings of that local profile get overwritten by the mapped profile setting? If not how would this work?

I would also like to know about the recommendation regarding custom app packaging - should the package have only the custom app which in turn should be associated to all custom items (such as objects, links, s-controls, tabs) or should each of these also be included individually in the package?

I would greatly appreciate information on the same.

Thanks,
VSP.
vspvsp
Could somebody out there please respond to this (even if it is to address only a subset of the questions)?

Is it correct to assume that in the Setup, whatever is done under 'Customize' heading cannot get packaged, and  items under 'Build' heading can get packaged?

Thanks.
Jim Yu.ax185Jim Yu.ax185
Hi VSP,

With regards to your question on what is currently packagable & not packagable:

- Workflow rules & page layouts for standard objects are not packagable.   
- Page layouts for custom objects are pacakgable and get packaged with the object.
- Email templates are packagable. 
- Profiles are packagable and get mapped to the local custom profile.  It will only affect the permissions for the new custom objects.

In terms of creating your package, you should also add all the individual components to the package along with your custom app.

Also, if you would like to take a glimpse at what is coming in the upcoming release of our platform, you can check out the session information from Dreamforce at:

http://blogs.salesforce.com/dreamforce06/2006/09/packaging_it_up.html

Best,

Jim Yu
Director, Platform Product Management

vspvsp
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. The link you included for planned features was quite informative, and your answers clarified the queries I raised.

I have a few additional queries as well:
1) Under Setup -> Customize -> Activities, I have added 2 new Activity Custom Fields. Are these packagable?
2) I have a Formula field that uses a HYPERLINK function with "https://na1.salesforce.com/servlet/servlet.Integration?lid=" followed by the ID of the S-Control. When I package the S-Control and somebody else downloads the package and installs it, this S-Control would have a different ID right? So as a manual step, the Administrator has to find out the new ID of the S-Control and replace that in the above HYPERLINK Formula field. Please confirm if this is correct or if there is some other way to package S-Control references without having to do the manual steps after installing the package.
3) I have a Button Image file uploaded under the Documents section. I believe these are packageable. But I have a Formula field that refers to the Button as IMAGE function. Here again the ID of the Button Image is used ""servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=" followed by the ID. Similar to above question of S-Control, when another user downloads and installs the package the ID may have changed and Administrator may have to edit the Formula as a manual step to set the ID - Please confirm if this is correct or if there is an alternative approach.

I would greatly appreciate any information/tips you could give me on this.
Thanks,
VSP.
Ron HessRon Hess
1) no, not packageable at this time, should work after the Winter 07 release
2) Yes, this will get fixed at install time and should work correctly, you can test this by installing your package in another dev org
3) Should work as #2 , gets fixed up by the system at install time, please don't take my word, do test this out.
vspvsp
Hi,

Thanks for your response. But I am not sure I understand 2 and 3 correctly. Are you saying that the IDs would be automatically set to the correct values during installation in another org, and the administrator need not have to check the S-Control or Image ID and set it as a manual step?

Thanks,
VSP.
Jim Yu.ax185Jim Yu.ax185
Yes, I believe for formulas, the IDs automatically get set.

Jim Yu
Director, Platform Product Management

nitesurfernitesurfer

It hs been two plus years since this question was asked of you.   I want to be able to deploy at minimal in the package, sections of standard objects for cusotm fields added to the package.   In addition you mentioned workflow rules were not available for standard objects, but I think you meant Validation rules.   These would be nice to be able to use in packages too.

Thank you

David Byrd

Anil MeghnathiAnil Meghnathi

Hi All

How can i add custom profile into my unmanaged package?

Any idea will help me

Thanks

Anil