function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DebbievdnDebbievdn 

Autopopulating custom case field with text and also numbers

Hi All, Not really good at this and looking to the SF society for some help/tips?

I have created four different custom fields with picklist format. In the first there are names of Engineers, the second holds telephone numbers, the third fax numbers and the fourth email addressess.

What I am looking to do is to autopopulate the name of the Engineer with his/her telephone,fax and email address. Can anyone tell me how I can do this - in laymans terms pls.....

Thanks

paulmagpaulmag

Hi there im not sure and maybe someone will correct me but I think that you would be better keeping the Engineer field as a picklist and then creating a formula field for each of the other fields. The formula field would then use the CASE formula coupled with the ISPICKVAL formula to give a result depending on which engineer has been selected.

flewellsflewells

If you create contact records for your Engineers, you can create a custom lookup to Contact on the Case object.  Then create 3 custom cross-object formula fields on case -- one for engineer's telephone, one for engineer's fax and another for engineer's email.  The user will select a contact (engineer) and the three fields on the case simply display the information that is on the contact record for that engineer.

DebbievdnDebbievdn
Many thanks for this tip...I will try this out and let you know the result...