function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
paulmagpaulmag 

Formula to show differences

Hi all hopefully someone can tell me if this is possible or not. On a contact page I have 6 different email address fields ( 1 for each contract and the std field) these fields should all be the same but often they aren't. Is there a formula that can compare the fields and flag when a different value has been entered? The other issue is that I will never know in advance which address is correct so the formula can't just take the std field as correct and compare against it.

Many thanks

Paul

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Which edition of SFDC are you using?

paulmagpaulmag

Am on Enterprise

If the 6 email addresses are all supposed to match and you are on EE you can create a Workflow Rule with a Field Update that will basically sync-up the 6 email fields.  Although I have to ask if the 6 email address fields are all supposed to match, why do you have 6 of them in the first place?  

What criteria are you using to determine that the email address is correct?  

paulmagpaulmag

We run 6 contracts on the one system and obviously market data like email addresses are something that we need to keep seperate. For some of our clients we send out mass email campaigns and again obviously we need to clean the bounces or stop pre-empt them. The formula in an ideal world would look to see if any of the populated fields were different and if so produce some sort of flag. There is no criteria available to say which of the email addresses is correct, that would be a manual(ish) task.

Does that help?

Paul

Okay, I was thinking you might want a simple VR that does something like 

OR(
Email_1__c <> Email_2__c,
Email_2__c <> Email_3__c,
Email_4__c <> Email_5__c,
Email_5__c <> Email_6__c)

or maybe add a checkbox field to indicate which email address is the correct one, and then a Workflow Rule with a field update to automatically populates the other 5 email fields with the correct address.  In that case you would want to establish a single Email Field to act as the "Master" which would then feed the other Email fields.  

But after reading your last post I think I might be on the wrong track (or do either of those sound like a solution that would work for you?)