function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Adnan81Adnan81 

Formula field

I am new to formula fields. Need some assistance

I have a Picklist field "Service Purchased" and "Number of Lines ported" with 1-10.

Trying to create a formula field which will determine if it is a "Ported", "Non-Ported" or "Non-OV" order based off of these two fields.

If service purchased does not contains "OV" say "Non-OV" and If Number of Lines ported Not equal to 0 say "Ported" otherwise say "Non-Ported"?

I have this so far, but it needs help!!!!!

IF(
AND(

NOT(CONTAINS(TEXT(Services_Purchased__c) , "OV",""))),
"Non OV",

( Number_Lines_Ported__c   <> 0,"Ported", "Non-Ported")

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
thomastthomast

As an aside - did you consider making the "Number of lines ported" field a number, and enforcing the 0-10 values with validation rules, field help, and training? It seems like that would make your life a lot easier in the long run, especially if you want to do any calculations in reports or elsewhere on # of lines ported over multiple records. Search for "How to do arithmetic on picklist numbers?" in Help & Training to see what you're up against if you need to calculate with this field. Short version - picklist values are text, not numbers, and cannot have arithmetic comparison or operation done on them.

Picklist values are different in formulas than other data types - you can only use CASE and ISPICKVAL on them. So your formula should be:

IF(

NOT(ISPICKVAL(Services_Purchased__c , "OV")), "Non OV",

IF(ISPICKVAL(Number_Lines_Ported__c, "0"),"Non-Ported","Ported")

)

This assumes that there is a single option, "OV," in your Services_Purchased__c picklist. If it's the case that there are multiple picklist values that have "OV" in the name, then you have to enumerate them separately in a CASE(). If your picklist values are, say:

Alpha

Beta OV

Gamma OV

Delta

Epsilon

then test all the non-OV ones first, and put the Lines_Ported__c test at the end as the "else" option:

CASE(Services_Purchased__c,

"Alpha", "Non OV",

"Delta", "Non OV",

"Epsilon", "Non OV",

)

You'll also want to be doing data validation to ensure that Services_Purchased__c and Number_Lines_Ported__c aren't getting incompatible values, say, Alpha and 3.

All Answers

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Are both fields Picklists?  Or is 1 a Picklist and the other a Number?

Adnan81Adnan81

Yes, Both are Picklist. Thanks Steven

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Are both picklists mutually exclusive?  Are you trying to evaluate both fields and display a single Text value, or are you trying to evaluate the first picklist and display one value, then evaluate the second piclist and display another value?

Adnan81Adnan81

Both are exclusive and Yes, I want it to display a single text value, based on both fields.

"Service Purchased" picklist field if it does not contains "OV"then show "Non-Ov".

"Number of lines Ported" picklist field 1-10 display "Ported" or Non- Ported if picklist is not equal to 0?

thomastthomast

As an aside - did you consider making the "Number of lines ported" field a number, and enforcing the 0-10 values with validation rules, field help, and training? It seems like that would make your life a lot easier in the long run, especially if you want to do any calculations in reports or elsewhere on # of lines ported over multiple records. Search for "How to do arithmetic on picklist numbers?" in Help & Training to see what you're up against if you need to calculate with this field. Short version - picklist values are text, not numbers, and cannot have arithmetic comparison or operation done on them.

Picklist values are different in formulas than other data types - you can only use CASE and ISPICKVAL on them. So your formula should be:

IF(

NOT(ISPICKVAL(Services_Purchased__c , "OV")), "Non OV",

)

This assumes that there is a single option, "OV," in your Services_Purchased__c picklist. If it's the case that there are multiple picklist values that have "OV" in the name, then you have to enumerate them separately in a CASE(). If your picklist values are, say:

Alpha

Beta OV

Gamma OV

Delta

Epsilon

then test all the non-OV ones first, and put the Lines_Ported__c test at the end as the "else" option:

CASE(Services_Purchased__c,

"Alpha", "Non OV",

"Delta", "Non OV",

"Epsilon", "Non OV",

)

You'll also want to be doing data validation to ensure that Services_Purchased__c and Number_Lines_Ported__c aren't getting incompatible values, say, Alpha and 3.

This was selected as the best answer
Adnan81Adnan81

Steve,

Thank You so much. You really broke it down for me. I am now looking into making it a picklist rathen then leaving it as text field. This really solved my issue. Thank you.

thomastthomast

I'm Thomas (new here), not Steve, but you're quite welcome. :-)

Adnan81Adnan81

oops...Sorry. Thanks