function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BekaiBekai 

using the ISCHANGE or PRIORVALUE operators

I am getting an error message that either  ISCHANGE or PRIORVALUE operators cannot be used in "this formula type"...but it does not tell me what type.

i am trying to determine if a custom field (picklist) has changed or had a certain prior value.

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Can you post the formula that you are using?    

Are you trying to do this in a Validation Rule or a Workflow Rule?

BekaiBekai

ISCHANGE( Account_Status__c )

Error: Field Account_Status__c is a picklist field. Picklist fields are only supported in certain functions. Tell me more

so i guess i am trying to find a way to see if i get a read on whether a picklist value was changed or not

Hi Bekai,

But what exactly are you trying to do?  Are you trying to create a Validation Rule, a Formula Field, or a Workflow Rule?

Validation Rules, Formula Fields, and Workflow Rules are all completely different things, in order to help you I need to know which one you are trying to create.  

BekaiBekai

I am trying to create a formula field

Okay that helps

Which edition of SFDC are you using?

BekaiBekai

PROFESSIONAL

I also tried to use ISCHANGED on a field that was populated with an ISPICKVAL formula and got the same error message

You can't use ISCHANGED or PRIORVALUE in a Formula Field, only Validation Rules and Workflow Rules, and unfortunately Workflow Rules are not available in PE.  

BekaiBekai

thank you

So what was the desired result that you were trying to get?  Just an indicator like True/False if the Picklist value had been changed from it's prior value?  or were you trying to do something else?  

There might be some other options that will work for you (depending on what your requirments are)

BekaiBekai

I was hoping to get a yes/no if a picklist value was changed...open to any ideas

BekaiBekai

ideally true/false if it changed and some kind of date stamp

Okay, in that case with the limitations of PE and Formula Fields your best bet might be to simply use Field History Tracking -> https://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/tracking_field_history.htm  

Let me know if you have any questions.  

PS.  You owe me a beer!

BekaiBekai

we do track histoy on that field...but I cannot hook into the time stamp other than when building a report.

Can you post the Report Filter Criteria that you're using?  You might be able to make some adjustments.  

BekaiBekai
Filtered By:   Edit 
   Field / Event equals Account Status Clear 

the report works fine...but edit date is not available in formula building

What kind of formula are you trying to use on Edit Date?  The Edit Date is available in the Report Filter Criteria.  Can you map out what it is exactly that you are trying to do?  

For example "Display any records that the Account Status was changed in the Last 30 Days" 

You owe me 2 beers now

BekaiBekai

we have a report that lists records in 2 (of 5) account statuses that represent later stages of the selling cycle.

that report is reviewed by sales managers and reps to discuss progress.  we want to get an idea of long a record has been in the late stages (by days) by posting a value = now() - the edit date that put the record into those late stage account statuses.

Okay, you're kinda bumping up against the limits of what you can do outside of a WFR.  

What is you used a Report Filter like this?

Field / Event equals Picklist 1    

AND 

Edit Date not equal to LAST 15 DAYS 

thomastthomast

Not as nifty as a WFR, but you could add a custom date field to record when the record went into those later stages, and use Validation Rules to require it when those late stages are entered. You could even require it to be empty in the earlier stages, It's a single click for the user to enter the current date into the date field, so shouldn't be too bad for them.

Ashutosh ManjanbailAshutosh Manjanbail

AND( NOT($Setup.Bypass_Switch__c.CORE_Validation_Rule_Switch__c),
NOT(ISNEW()),
(ISCHANGED(CORE_Business_Trigger__c)||(ISCHANGED(CORE_Business_Type__c) ) ||(ISCHANGED(CORE_Sector__c) )||(ISCHANGED(CORE_Division__c) )),
NOT(OR($Profile.Name = "System Administrator", $Profile.Name = "Technical User")))

Here CORE_Business_Type__c is having Null also but when im trying to change the null object it is throwing up an error. 
user should be able to modify value of specified fields from blank value to any value
any meaning not null value

Somebody help on this please ?