function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MegachuckmcMegachuckmc 

Formula Fields from different Objects

How can I create a Formula field that grabs a value from another object?

In this case I have two custom objects: "Sales Order" and "Sales Order Item" 

In the formula editor my only choices are the Object that I am working in (Sales Order) and other objects like:

$System

$User

etc.

If this makes sense...I want to create fields in the "Sales Order Object" that derive their value from the "Sales Order Item" object.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

:smileymad:

This is actually part of a bigger problem that I am trying to solve with Email Templates that won't allow me to get Merge fields from more than one object in the same template.

i.e. I create an email template that uses my Sales Order object...  the interface lets me select and insert merge fields from other objects both Standard and Custom... but those merge fields don't actually show up when I see the email

Any thought on either would be greatly appreciated

Start DevStart Dev

Hi,

Did you find an answer to this problem???

I have the same issue!!!

Thanks

MegachuckmcMegachuckmc
Unfortunately not.  This appears to be something that just is not possible without custom programming.  We talked with an engineer at SFdc and he knew exactly what it was we wanted to do and essentially told us that it can't be done.

It's very frustrating and I can't believe that we are the only company in the world wanting to do something like this.  On the surface this would appear to be an absolute "no brainer"  but things aren't always as easy as they seem.

Stay tuned!

SaadSaad
Hi guys,
Similar problem, I am trying to use Account object fields to calculate value for a custom formula which would be populated on the Opportunity object. Additionally, some of the Account object fields that I would be using will utilize picklist fields. I would highly appreciate it if someone can email me on any progress on this and I would be glad to share any solutions that I would be discovering soon.
Saad
ReneRendReneRend

Any solution for this old problem?