function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Timesync0Timesync0 

Is there a way to 'break' the formula cycle to get past the 5000 max character limit?

Here is the scenario:

For every deal that is signed there is a commission pool of 2 to 6 people. The commissions are paid out as the money comes in each month. The customer payments from which the commission payments are made may or may not be large enough to completely pay the commission amounts in month. In that case the remainder rolls over to the next month Example:

Dealer Commission Due: 300
Customer Monthly Payment: 200
September Commission payment:200
October Commission payment: 100

And so on.

I have written a bunch of IF(AND and IF(OR formulas to automatically calculate the payments to be made (depending on funds availability, etc).

My problem is that I am bumping up against the 5000 limit for formulas. I need a way to take the value of a formula (let's say the September Commission Amount) and use that in a new formula.

So the assumption would be that I am taking the value of a field, not the formula itself into the next formula, breaking the chain of formulas and 'resetting' the 5000 character limit????

Does this make sense?

How do I do this? I tried using the Mail Merge Value {!fieldname_c} but it did not disconnect me from the formula chain.

I have several of these complex formulas to create. Using SF Professional.

Thanks for your time, you brilliant people!

David
j_wennerj_wenner
Did you ever find a way around this problem with the 5000 character limit with formulas?   I have a similiar problem.  :(
olkeitholkeith

Unfortunately, I do not know of a way to handle this with standard functionality in Professional Edition.

However, with Enterprise, I experienced the same problem on a custom object with many variable cost associations that need to be calculated together, if selected. 

These also needed to be individually calculate with Tax.  To make this formula even more complex, all of the fields being calculated were picklists. 

This made my formula HUGE, real quick...

My solution to this was to

1. Create read only currency fields for each individual line item that needed to be calculated with tax.  
  2. I then created workflow rules which i set a field update formula in order to update the read only fields with a line item + tax.
  3. Finally i created one formula which added these all together.

This can take some time, and make sure you test everything.

Note: If you use the field update technique, the read only currency fields must have a default value of zero, in order to be updated.