function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kim_lebiczkim_lebicz 

Triggering a Workflow from a Formula Field

Hello All

Is anyone aware of a way to create/trigger a workflow rule from a formula field. I have created a field called Case Age on the case object that calculates the age in minutes. I have been asked to create an escalation alert if a case has been in the queue for 30 minutes. So, I created a workflow rule that should trigger when the age field reaches 30 but it is not working. I have read recently that it will not work unless the case is edited or modified in some way. Does anyone know of a work around for this?

I appreciate any suggestions
Thanks
Kim
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jeff TalbotJeff Talbot
Here's something to try... create a custom formula field (date/time) with a formula that calculates a value of 30 mins behind your CreateDate:

CreatedDate -0.0208333

Then you could trigger your time-based workflow 1 hour after the custom field date/time, and that would be 30 mins past the create date/time.

Not sure if it will work, but it may be worth a try.

All Answers

Jeff TalbotJeff Talbot
With a normal (Immediate) Workflow Action, that is correct, the Case would need to be edited in order to trigger any Actions. If you're on Enterprise Edition, you will have access to Time-Dependent Workflow Actions, and that is what you'd need to work with to try and get your desired result. Good luck!
kim_lebiczkim_lebicz
Thanks TA. I did look at that but unfortunately it doesn't work with minutes, only hours or days. I appreciate the response though.
Jeff TalbotJeff Talbot
Here's something to try... create a custom formula field (date/time) with a formula that calculates a value of 30 mins behind your CreateDate:

CreatedDate -0.0208333

Then you could trigger your time-based workflow 1 hour after the custom field date/time, and that would be 30 mins past the create date/time.

Not sure if it will work, but it may be worth a try.
This was selected as the best answer
kim_lebiczkim_lebicz

Very creative solution. I will definately give this a try and let you know how I make out.

Thanks!!

kim_lebiczkim_lebicz
Your idea worked great! Thanks so much for your help!
Jeff TalbotJeff Talbot
You're welcome. Happy to hear it worked!