function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CRM_MikeCRM_Mike 

Maintenance of group-level running totals

Here's my situation:
- My hierarchy is as follows: an ACCOUNT can have 1 or more CONTACT records and a CONTACT can have 1 or more ASSET records
- I created custom numeric fields on the ACCOUNT record (to hold the group-level totals)
- I have fields on the ASSET record that I want to see totalled and kept on the ACCOUNT record
- My accumulations (+ and -) are based on change of the Status field on the ASSET record, I created a 'Copy_of_Status' field on the ASSET record, and a Workflow rule to copy the Status to Copy_of_Status.
- I tried to create workflow rules that will accumulate the ASSET record's detail fields to their group-level counterparts on the ACCOUNT record based on a change of the 'Copy_of_Status' field. 
- I cannot seem to get the ability to interrogate and/or modify fields on two different Record types. 
- If I define the Object of the Rule as 'ASSET' I do not have access to the fields I need from the ACCOUNT record. 
- This is true even if I try to define a formula based on ACCOUNT.field_I_need (where field_I_need is defined on the ASSET record). 
- I tried "reversing" the Rule, making the Object of the Rule the ACCOUNT record and trying to access ASSET.field_I_need with no success.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.  Mike