function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
steve_andersensteve_andersen 

Governor limits for @future

The Winter '09 docs don't seem to have anything about governor limits with the @future call other than the fact you can only invoke 200 @future methods/day/org. I know one of the goals of the @future notation is to allow us to get around the current apex governor limits without killing sf.com servers.

Does anyone know what the @future limits will be? We're thinking of new functionality that would fit into @future methods and want to get a sense of what we'll be dealing with in regard to limits.

Thanks,
Steve
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
tmatthiesentmatthiesen
Async methods inherit the explicit invocation limits, eg: execute anonymous, Visualforce controllers, and webservices.  The key point to digest is that each ansychronous invocation carries its own set of limits - it does not share or consume any limits from the request context.  For example:

trigger GenericTrigger on Generic__c (before insert, before update) {

UtilityClass.callSynchronousProcess(); //this synchronous method shares the limits within the trigger context
UtilityClass.callAsyncProcess(); // this method invocation contains its own set of limits
UtilityClass.callAysncProcess2();//this method invocation contains its own set of limits

}

In addition:
-You can call up to 10 async methods within one request.
-You can call up to 200 async request per user.

All Answers

mikefmikef
Steve:
I believe the @future gets you out of the trigger limits and into the class limits.

Please comment on this to confirm.
tmatthiesentmatthiesen
Async methods inherit the explicit invocation limits, eg: execute anonymous, Visualforce controllers, and webservices.  The key point to digest is that each ansychronous invocation carries its own set of limits - it does not share or consume any limits from the request context.  For example:

trigger GenericTrigger on Generic__c (before insert, before update) {

UtilityClass.callSynchronousProcess(); //this synchronous method shares the limits within the trigger context
UtilityClass.callAsyncProcess(); // this method invocation contains its own set of limits
UtilityClass.callAysncProcess2();//this method invocation contains its own set of limits

}

In addition:
-You can call up to 10 async methods within one request.
-You can call up to 200 async request per user.
This was selected as the best answer
steve_andersensteve_andersen
Thanks for the info.

Steve
kathyanikathyani
Ours is developer edition. I did not see a column for developers edition.
GoForceGoGoForceGo

tmatthiesen,

Is the 200 limit per user/per day or per org?

I see multiple postings with that question, but no clear answer. You seem to imply it is per user/day.  Please confirm!