function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ClaiborneClaiborne 

Strange Behavior With IDE

I have a Apex Class. I edit it, slightly. I save it. It does not report any problems.

I save the class to the server. It succeeds.

But no change is made to the file on the server.

I do a full refresh of the entire org from the server into the IDE.

The changes I made made are in the refreshed code.

Still no changes to code when I go in through salesforce.com directly.

Weird.
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
RickyGRickyG
There is a checkbox in the Project menu in the top menu bar called Build Automatically.  I wonder if this is checked for your project.  If not, that could be why the default is to simply save locally.

All Answers

RickyGRickyG
David -

Yes, it certainly is weird.  I assume you did a refresh of the display page in the Setup menu, right?
lnryanlnryan
We encountered similar save issues recently. Though in our case, though the save appears to be successful from the IDE, when refreshing the entire org, our local changes are overwritten.

ClaiborneClaiborne
I was able to correct the problem by creating a new project in the IDE with a fresh load from the server.

The original product had been created with version 13 of the IDE, and I recently upgraded to version 14. Even though I did a complete refresh of all projects after the upgrade, I had problems.

So I suspect a problem in changing from 13 to 14.

It works now, so I am moving on. A complete solution is left as an exercise for the class.
JonPJonP
You cannot use projects from Developer Preview releases of the IDE (13 and earlier) with the GA release (14).  Instead, you must create new projects, as you have done.

This is widely documented on the Force.com IDE pages at developer.force.com.

lnryanlnryan
I had a disk error recently and ended up completely removing and reinstalling eclipse, the Force.com IDE v14 and our projects. All prior to encountering this behavior. I'll keep an eye out for if it happens again, though, and document the specific circumstances...
JonPJonP
Ah, I misunderstood your earlier post.  In any case, I'm glad it's working for you now.  We've been unable to reproduce it on our side, but please keep us posted if it happens again.
SaaspertSaaspert
I recently upgraded to winter 09 force.com IDE, created new project but my changes are not getting saved back to the org.

I recently installed perforce plugin as well. I am not sure if that is messing up Eclipse.

I am in correct perspective, was able to create a new project but not able save, I do not get error message nor I get the status message you would typically get when IDE is saving it back to the org
JonPJonP
When you say you "upgraded" to the Winter '09 IDE, did you use the same Eclipse that you'd used with an earlier version of the Force.com IDE?  If so, did you first uninstall any earlier Force.com IDE versions?
SaaspertSaaspert
yes, I followed the uninstall instructions before installing the winter 09 IDE.
I remember Eclipse was able to save to the org after the upgrade to Winter 09 but stopped working after installing other plugins e.g. perforce/e2UML

I am going to re-install force.com IDE and report back here. thanks.
SaaspertSaaspert
I did following but issue still persists
1. I uninstalled and re-installed the force.com IDE
2. created a fresh new project
but when I hit save on IDE it is saving locally but not to the org. If I explicitly use the context menu (right click) force.com -> save to server then it works.

RickyGRickyG
There is a checkbox in the Project menu in the top menu bar called Build Automatically.  I wonder if this is checked for your project.  If not, that could be why the default is to simply save locally.
This was selected as the best answer
SaaspertSaaspert
Rick,

awesome !! after I did the change you suggested,  the files are getting saved to the Salesforce.com org.

Thank you so much for your suggestion