function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
valmeidavalmeida 

Setting the Related To picklist value via a custom button

Hello:

I know this is not officially supported by salesforce (even though they present this technique in various forums).
I have a custom object with a custom button that creates a child Task and presets the values on several fields.  I'm having trouble defaulting one field - the Related To picklist.  I want the parent object name in the picklist to default, but I can't seem to do it.
Using Firebug, I determined that the Related To picklist field is tsk3_mlktp, but no matter what I try, I can't get that field to default to my custom object name within that picklist.  I've tried the object name in double-quotes, as well as the object ID.  If I use the object ID, It does populate the actual object ID in the Related To field, but what I need is the value/name of that object.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
kschaffkschaff

You CAN do this.  You just need to pass the "What_Id" in your your custom button as a querystring parameter.  This should populate the "Related To" Task Field on the Task Edit Form (along with the other values that you are pre-populating).

/00T/e?what_id={!YourCustomObject__c.Id}

All Answers

Steve :-/Steve :-/

You can't do it with a WFR or a Formula, you should probaby report this on the Apex board and link back to this post.

http://boards.developerforce.com/sforce/board?board.id=apex

valmeidavalmeida

Ok, thanks for the info.  I've posted over on Apex.

kschaffkschaff

You CAN do this.  You just need to pass the "What_Id" in your your custom button as a querystring parameter.  This should populate the "Related To" Task Field on the Task Edit Form (along with the other values that you are pre-populating).

/00T/e?what_id={!YourCustomObject__c.Id}

This was selected as the best answer
valmeidavalmeida

Thanks - that worked quite nicely!