function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hemmhemm 

Disassociate Items from Installed AppExchange package

I think I know the answer to this already, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I am migrating a bunch of config from one org to another and I am putting the config from the old org into an AppExchange package.  After I installed it in the new org, is it possible to disassociate the installed components from the package?  I am pretty sure the answer is no, but thought I'd ask.

It'd be nice to be able to do this so that some renegade doesn't come through and uninstall the package and wipe a bunch of stuff out.
GregCGregC
Are you strictly looking for a means to prevent uninstallation?  We could theoretically put a password on uninstall like we do on install if that is a desired feature.  If you are interested, post it on the ideaExchange and get people to vote.
hemmhemm
My question was low priority.  I am just crazy (to a fault?) about keeping my orgs clean and if I move config from one org to another, I use a package to do it.  However, it'd be nice to remove that package and leave the config there since the package was only used for temporary purposes.  Also, if I am doing work for a client, I'd rather leave them with only the packages they'd recognize.  I wouldn't want them accidentally clean things up in 6 months and deleting some config.

Thanks.
glen martinglen martin
While packaging can be used to move setup between instances, and sometimes that is the right answer, it sounds as if you really want to use the Metadata API instead.  We released the beginnings of it in Summer '07, providing a way to migrate custom objects and fields between orgs using an Ant task.  In Winter '08 this will be enhanced  with new APIs and support more setup types.  We're also building it into the Force.com Toolkit for Eclipse.  Apart from the specific case of ISVs publishing apps to a many customers (ISVs should use managed packages), the Metadata API is the right way to migrate configuration going forward.