function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFAngeSFAnge 

Multi Pick List Validation Rules

Hello,

This is my first posted message so hopefully I am doing it right.

I'm trying to create a validation rule that will give an error message if there is no value picked from a multi pick list. I can't figure out how to do this. I saw an Idea on the Idea Exchange that said that we don't have this ability yet. Is there a work around that anybody knows about?

JakesterJakester
You're referring to this idea. Please vote for it.

If all you need to do is make it required, you should do that from the Page Layout - just edit the layout, double-click the field, and check the Required checkbox.
jnaranjnaran
Did you find a workaround for making a multi pick list field required, based on the opportunity stage?
SFAngeSFAnge
I don't know of a work around yet. As far as I can tell you can only have the field required or not. It would be nice to have it required at a certain stage though. The Multi Pick list function of Salesforce is one of the most frustrating issues that I have found in Salesforce. You can't use it in Formulas or Validation rules and in Reports it is hard to work with. Hopefully they will improve this feature because I know that a lot of people are frustrated about this on the idea exchange.
jnaranjnaran
I agree.. it is quite frustrating. I have heard that an APEX Code can take care of this. But it is something I will have to learn and implement which I guess will be very time consuming or else pay a consultant. Let us keep our fingers crossed and hope that SFDC soon comes out with this feature.
JakesterJakester

Maybe I'm missing a nuance of what you're trying to do, but here's what I did.

1. I set our multi-select list as dependent to Stage
  2. I set none of the multi-select options as valid for the stages before I want the list to be required
  3. I set all of the multi-select options as valid for the stages after I want the list to be required
  4. I set the the multi-select field as required on the page layout

Done!

SFAngeSFAnge
This is a great work around. Thank you! I'm sure I can use this somewhere else but it doesn't work completely for what I am trying to accomplish. Let's say I have Stage A,B,C. I would like my sales team to pick values from a multi pick list at stage B and C but I want to require that it is filled in at Stage A. I would like the values to be available to them but then require(ensure) that they are filled in at the higher stage.  
JakesterJakester
I see - I don't know if this is possible to do. Hope you figure it out! Apex is a real pain - not only is writing the code tough, but when you've got the code working you're only halfway done because then you have to write a unit test, which is typically as long or longer than your code.
jnaranjnaran
Great workaround... but I am sailing in the same boat as SFAnge. Hopefully something will work for that as well :smileysad:
JakesterJakester
If you decide you're wanting to pay for this customization work, may I recommend www.ezsaas.com. In all my years in business I have never been so impressed as I have been with their work. It's quality, fast, and super-friendly, to boot. I'm confident they could help you get this working exactly as you want.
multi picklist validation rulemulti picklist validation rule

Can Somone giv me simple and straight answer.

Can we write Validation rule on Multipick list.

If yes What validation can we write for this example below.

Multipicklist: 1

I want the validation a 3 and 4 should be selected automatically.

what can b done?

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Can you clarify your post?  Short answer "Yes" you can have a VR on a MP field.  Bust when you say "I want the validation a 3 and 4 should be selected automatically." that's not what a VR does, if you need values to be automatically selected, then you're talking about either a Workflow Rule (WFR) or a Trigger, and those are different breeds of cat.

multi picklist validation rulemulti picklist validation rule

Thnkz for the reply.

I think i didnt made the question very clear. i do apologies for that.

i doubt was clarified, the answer for my question be done by workflow rule. cheers for that.!

what type of validation rule can we write on multipick list and how.

if you could help me with that i would really appreciate.

thankz.