function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KRamaKRama 

Error: Compile Error: Unexpected token

Hi,

I am trying to write a trigger on a custom object called Job Application. It has 2 fields that are lookup type called Candidate and Position. I am trying to write a trigger that would not let the a candidate apply for a position more than once.

Though at this point I am not expecting the code to do what is required, I am quite baffled with the compile error. And am not able to shake it.

The code is given below, getting Error: Compile Error: Unexpected Token: ja.Candidate__c at line 8 column 14

trigger jaduplicate on Job_Application__c (before insert, before update) {
    Map <String, Job_Application__C> jamap = new Map <String, Job_Application__c>();
    for (Job_Application__c ja : system.trigger.new){
        if(ja.Candidate__c != null && ja.Candidate__c != system.trigger.oldMap.get.(ja.id).Candidate__c){
        jamap.put(ja.Candidate__c, ja);
        jamap.put(ja.Position__c, ja);
        } else {
        for (ja.Candidate__c == system.trigger.oldMap.get.(ja.id).Candidate__c){
            if (ja.Position__c == system.trigger.oldMap.get.(ja.id).Position__c){
                ja.Position__c.adderror('Job Application already exists for the candidate');
            } else {
            jamap.put(ja.Candidate__c, ja);
            jamap.put(ja.Position__c, ja);
            }
        }
        }
    }
}

Any help or suggestion as to why I am getting the error. And what that error means.

Thanks

KD

micwamicwa

Couple of things:

• Trigger.new (without the System)
  • second for loop must be while
  • no "." after get

trigger jaduplicate on Job_Application__c (before insert, before update) { Map <String, Job_Application__C> jamap = new Map <String, Job_Application__c>(); for (Job_Application__c ja : trigger.new){ if(ja.Candidate__c != null && ja.Candidate__c != trigger.oldMap.get(ja.id).Candidate__c){ jamap.put(ja.Candidate__c, ja); jamap.put(ja.Position__c, ja); } else { while (ja.Candidate__c == trigger.oldMap.get(ja.id).Candidate__c){ if (ja.Position__c == trigger.oldMap.get(ja.id).Position__c){ ja.Position__c.adderror('Job Application already exists for the candidate'); } else { jamap.put(ja.Candidate__c, ja); jamap.put(ja.Position__c, ja); } } } } }

KRamaKRama

thanks for the suggestion

could you please point out what is the difference between

system.trigger.new and trigger.new

get.(ja.id) and get(ja.id)

when executing if we get an error for system.nullpointerexecution what does than mean?