function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kevin_MKevin_M 

Dynamic Field Updates

We are currently working ona  problem where we want to dynamically update certain fields in Salesforce when the user opens the object.  We don't want to store the data within Salesforce, but rather retrieve it from one of our internal servers with another integration tool we currently use.

The in-house integration tool can be kicked off via HTTP Request, so we thought of going there first, and using the return results to dynamically update a VisualForce page.  However due to security issues, it does not appear as though this is possible.

What other ways can this be accomplished?  What is a best practice for a "mash-up" into Salesforce?
BoxBox

I would probably point you in the direction of either asynchronous APEX (this is not GA in production just yet)  or an SControl and AJAX to perform the call to the external service for you.   SControl would probably be easier if the service is within your own network as then the data flow will remain within your network and therefore easier on the security front.

Let me know if you need any pointers,

Kevin_MKevin_M

I have some simple HTML code that basically builds a SOAP packet and sends an HTTP request to kick off the job.  If I put that code in a separate tab within Salesforce, the job kicks off fine.  However, when I create an S-Control with the exact same HTML code, and then call the S-Control, the job will not be triggered.

Any ideas why the S-Control would act differently?