function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jsteinjstein 

Problems with SOQL Query causing compile error

Hey all,

I'm trying to teach myself a little bit of Apex and I'm doing it by coming up with problems and then trying to solve them. I'm trying to write a trigger that will update text fields on a parent account from a child. Basically, I've created several fields on an Opportunity called Product1, Product2, etc. I'm working on an Apex trigger that will read all line items associated with that opportunity and put them in the correct fields. I'm not overly concerned with how it looks in the field, I'm just trying to get it to work...

When I try to save, I'm getting an unexpected token error at line 7 column 37. I'm guessing this has to do with how I attempted my SOQL statement, but I've tried several variations and I keep getting the same error. Here is the code:

trigger SetOppProducts on OpportunityLineItem (after insert, after update, after delete) {
String TheProduct, OppName;
Integer TheCount = 0;

OpportunityLineItem x = trigger.new;
Opportunity o = new Opportunity (Id = x.OpportunityId);
for(OpportunityLineItem[] oli : [select Id where OpportunityId = x.OpportunityId] {

TheProduct = 'Coated: ';
TheProduct += x.Coated__c;
TheProduct += ', Felted: ';
TheProduct += x.Felted__c;
TheCount++
if (TheCount = 1) {o.Product1__c = TheProduct} {
else if (TheCount = 2) {o.Product2__c = TheProduct} {
else if (TheCount = 3) {o.Product3__c = TheProduct} {o.Product4__c = TheProduct}
}
update o;
}

Any direction as to where I'm going wrong would be much appreciated. Thanks!
StormConsultingStormConsulting
When using a variable in a SOQL statement you must use a colon symbol : before the variable such as

[select Id where OpportunityId = :x.OpportunityId]
jsteinjstein
Thanks you for your quick response.

I've incorporated your feedback however I'm still getting the same error (apparently the problem is happening before even that problem) Here is the updated code:

trigger SetOppProducts on OpportunityLineItem (after insert, after update, after delete) {
String TheProduct, OppName;
Integer TheCount = 0;

OpportunityLineItem x = trigger.new;
for(OpportunityLineItem[] oli : [ select Id where OpportunityId = :x.OpportunityId ] {

TheProduct += x.Coated__c;
TheProduct += x.Felted__c;
TheCount++
if (TheCount = 1) {o.Product1__c = TheProduct} {
else if (TheCount = 2) {o.Product2__c = TheProduct} {
else if (TheCount = 3) {o.Product3__c = TheProduct} {o.Product4__c = TheProduct}
}
update o;
}

I'm getting the Unexpected Token error at Line 7 Column 37, which is the left bracket on the SOQL string before 'select'. I'm sure it's a small thing I left out, but I can't figure out what it is...

Thanks again for your quick response!
Drew1815Drew1815
At quick glance, the SOQL query is incomplete. There is no "from" clause.
For example, [select Id From OpportunityLineItem where OpportunityId = x.OpportunityId
SuperfellSuperfell
What Drew said, you're missing a FROM clause in your query.
jsteinjstein
I would like to start off in saying that I really appreciate the help I have received so far on this message board. I think I'm close to a solution, it's compiling fine, but it's not quite working properly. I can't seem to get the SOQL query to get any results, and after staring at it for hours I can't figure out why. here is the code:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

String TheProduct, OppName, Product1, Product2, Product3, Product4;

Integer TheCount;

for( OpportunityLineItem x : trigger.new) {

//THIS IS THE OPPORTUNITY I WANT TO UPDATE AT THE END

TheCount = 0;
for(OpportunityLineItem oli : [select Id, Coated__c, Felted__c from OpportunityLineItem where Id = :x.OpportunityId]) {
//THIS IS SUPPOSED TO PULL ALL OF THE LINE ITEMS THAT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THE OPPORTUNITY, BUT IT'S NOT...

TheProduct += oli.Coated__c;
TheProduct += oli.Felted__c;
TheCount++;
system.debug('TheProduct=' + TheProduct);

if (TheCount == 1) {Product1 = TheProduct;}
//THIS IS HOW I'M STORING THE INFORMATION UNTIL I'M READY TO DUMP IT TO OPPORTUNITY FIELDS
//THESE VARIABLES WERE DECLARED AS STRINGS ABOVE
else if (TheCount == 2) {Product2 = TheProduct;}

else if (TheCount == 3) {Product3 = TheProduct;}
else {Product4 = TheProduct;}

}
o.Product1__c = Product1;
o.Product2__c = Product2;
o.Product3__c = Product3;
o.Product4__c = Product4;
//THIS IS HOW I'M DOING THE DUMP

update o;

}
}
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm aware that I will evenutally have to tweak this for the type of action that sets off the trigger (i know this won't work right now on delete) but I at least want this to function for insert and update for now. I'm working on the fifteenth floor of the building, and my computer is going to take a long fall soon if I don't figure this out. Thanks again for all of your help!
jsteinjstein
Ok, that problem is solved, apparently in my hours of staring I didn't notice that I was trying to find records with a matching Id, not OpportunityId as it should have been.

This script now works for Insert and Update, but now I'm getting an error on delete saying "Attempt to de-reference a null object"

As soon as I figure this out I'll post a final solution.