function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Riz234Riz234 

Opportunity: New custom field to replace "Amount" field

I have opportunities, some are closed and some are open.

I want the "Amount" field value of all the opportunities (open and close) to be in the New Custom field. How Can I do that? Can anyone show me step by step please.

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

If you want the sum of "Amount" of all the opportunities then you can not do this using formula. You need to create a trigger, which will update the sum of all the opportunities.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

Riz234Riz234

I don't want sum of amount of all opportunities.

We are using Amount field and it has data. I want to create a new field and load all the Amount field data into the new field. Later I will hide Amount field and use instead New field. ((All I am doing since i dont want amount field to calculate products).

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Please correct me if am wrong. You want the new filed with the amount value so that you can edit it later on.

Here if you create a formula field then you can not edit it. But if you use trigger to do this it will be helpful as in create a trigger which will fire on insert and update. This trigger will get the value from amount and fill it in new custom field.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious

If you just want to pre-load the new field with existing Amount field data, use the Excel Connector to copy the amount to the new field.

If you want the new field to automatically update, you'll have to write a trigger, as Ankit suggested. Otherwise, the new field will remain static (I assume this is what you want and you have some other means/process to update it...).