+ Start a Discussion
RobKretzRobKretz 

Validation Rule or Workflow ( w/ time dependent actions? ) Need assistance

Is this a validation rule? or workflow action with time dependent variables?

Goal:

To have a notifciation email sent to the opportunity owner ( and VP, etc)

when..

If the STAGE has been in "Follow-Up" >30 Days 

Thanks in  advance!

Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

Definitly a workflow as email notifications can be ent through workflows. Validation rule can only validate field values and throw excetion if data is not valid. So it is workflow not validation rule.

RobKretzRobKretz

Thank you for your reply.

What would that look like  as a validation rule?

One unique thing that you will see in validation rule is Error Message, in validation rule Error Message is mandatory to provide which is shown if data is not valid according to validation formula. So you can figure out whether it is a validation rule or not by this.

RobKretzRobKretz

Thanks,

Would it be something along these lines as a start?

IF (  ISPICKVAL (StageName, "follow-up") ....

Part of this workflow email alert  ( i think) needs a rule so I'm looking for some assistance with that.

Basically, if the stage  has been in "follow up" for more than 30 days.  an email alert will be sent to the opportunity owner.

Can you assist ?

Thanks.

Are you verifying a existing component or want to achieve a new requirement to send email notification dependent on time.

If it is a new req you need to create a workflow, time dependent action , email alert. please let me know what is your question?

RobKretzRobKretz

Ive created the workflow rule and the template that needs to be used in the email alert.

Im looking at the time trigger option in the worlflow rule right now...

"Opportunity:Stage" doesnt show up as an option

Here's what I'm seeing here...

"  rule trigger date , Close date, ECD, created date, last modified date, PPAP date, SOP date "

Would I need to create a rule stating that  IF THE STAGE AS BEEN IN FOLLOW UP > 30 DAYS  ?

Only Date and DateTime fields will come as option in that , no other types will come. If you want to evaluate the criteria dependent on time then it is not possible. In time dependent action only date and datetime fields come as option to decide what time action ( in your case email notification) should be performed.

I hope above explanation makes it clear.

RobKretzRobKretz

Yes it does. Thanks for your help.

If you are ok with above please mark it as solution so that others also can benifit from this.