function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BlachamoohaBlachamooha 

Including products from an opportunity related list in an outbound email approval

Hello,

I am new to SFDC an need a little help.

When an opportunity changes stages there's an option to automatically send out an approval e-mail using a pre-made template for  managerial purposes. My question is, is it possible to add the products, to the e-mail for approval, that are attached to that opportunity? This is necessary to do in order for managers to completely understand what products are associated with which opportunities. This automated process would relieve users from manually creating a mail-merge and uploading it to an e-mail, and so on so forth. Is this possible using apex, workflows, etc?

Any help would be great. Thank You.
JakesterJakester
I was just trying to do this and couldn't find a way, either. Bump for ideas!
BlachamoohaBlachamooha
Hey,

Yeah that seems to be the common response. How did you work around it / create a solution?

Thanks
JCoppedgeJCoppedge
I am relatively certain the inherit email templates cannot accomplish this because they cannot call information from the related lists.  The best way I think of to accomplish this would be to create a long text field on the opp, and use a trigger OnUpdate to copy the name qty etc of each product into that field (essentially repliacting the related list).
JakesterJakester
Thanks for the creative thinking. The two problems with that trigger approach, as I see it, are first that all triggers are difficult to write, and second that this one would be particularly tricky if you had to allow for products being deleted off of oppties (which I would).

I'm sure it's possible to create a customization that would do this, but it sounds like it wouldn't be easy...
JCoppedgeJCoppedge
I have not programmed triggers, but as triggers go this one should be fairly simple.  Handling the removal of products would not be hard, as you simply delete the entire text field and recreate it on every update.

If someone gives this a shot I'd love to see how it works.
KristinFKristinF
Vote for this idea on the IdeaExchange -- http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/61194
JakesterJakester
Thanks, Kristin - I did!
Zik22Zik22
Hi,
I have the same exact problem, can you post your trigger?

thanks!
saintrjsaintrj

I have the same issue, but with custom fields too. How do you vote for it?