function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jisaacjisaac 

email alert to owners of Child opportunities

We do complex deals, with one primary (Parent) opportunity and often several ancillary (child) opps "attached" to the parent opp. I created a lookup on the Opportunity that becomes a required field based on the Opportunity Type picklist value.

Right now, I have email alerts triggered when the stage or the close date changes on the Parent opportunity. I then notify the owners of the Child opps to update their opps to match the Parent one.

What I WANT to do is have the email alert go to the owners of the child opportunities.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jane
FosterFoster
Hi Jane

We just had the same issue but with an email alert to notify a parent case owner when a related case is closed. The workaround I created:
1) Create a lookup field to Users called Parent Owner and add it to the related opp page.
2) Click on the button to create a new related record from the parent record.
3) On the new related record, right mouse click and select view source (I recommend you do this in Google Chrome as text is formatted with keywords highlighted)
4) Note the ID/name of the new field (E.g. for cases, it was an ID, CF00NR0000000Hoij)
5) Copy the URL of the new record.
6) Create a new custom button as a list button, paste in the URL you copied and append the new field id to equal the parent case owner field, something like ...&(&CF00NR0000000Hoij={Parent.OwnerID}
7) Go into the page layout of the parent object and assign the new custom button to override creating new related objects.
8) Test - Click on the new custom button to create a new related record. The parent owner should be already populated.
9) Create a validation rule with the condition: The record is closed and Related.OwnerIDParent.OwnerID. This will ensure that if the parent changes owner, then there is a prompt to update it to the correct owner. You can also add the owner field to the parent mini page layout so that a user only has to hover over the parent record ID/# to get the current owner.

While a little long winded, this works and now allows us to send automatic email alerts directly to the parent case owner advising them that a related case has been resolved and closed without any additional interaction by the user.

Good luck.

Message Edited by Foster on 09-29-2008 05:10 PM