function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mdc300664mdc300664 

Data Validation with Data Loader

When loading data via data loader into fields that are picklist fields I want records to be rejected if they don't match items from the Pick List for that field. This would help data quality on data loads. If this can be done, I assume it would be via Data Validation rules, but I cannot find any answers as to how it can be achieved. Rather than key in the values manually within the validation rule, it would be desrable for the rule to dynamically lookup up the picklist items - so that the rule wouldn't have to be amended every time a new picklist item was added for the relevant field.
JakesterJakester
You can't enforce validation based on a picklists. I agree it would be nice. You're probably better off using Vlookups in Excel to do your validation manually before using Data Loader.

Message Edited by Jakester on 09-15-2008 09:50 AM
KC-CRM AnalystKC-CRM Analyst

I've never tried this but, it is an attempt at allowing you to create the validation rule you requested.

Validation Rule:

CASE( Picklist_Name,

"Value one", FALSE,

"Value two", FALSE,

"Value three", FALSE,

"Value four", FALSE,

..............etc,

TRUE)

This may give you the desired result. I haven't tested it though.

JakesterJakester
Good idea! The problem, of course, is that this rule would have to be updated any time a value is added to the list, but, yeah, I think this might work.