function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
waylonatcimwaylonatcim 

auto populate account lookup field

I have a custom object notes, which has 3 lookup fields (Projects, Contacts, Accounts).  I am trying to use a formula to auto-populate the Account lookup field based on the information in the Contact field, but I have been unsuccessful so far.  My formula for the account field is pretty simple:
Company (text) =
Contact__r.Account.Name

But this is not working.  Is there any way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?  I am limited to whatever is in professional edition but I am not opposed to doing any type of code writing. 

Thanks!
waylonatcimwaylonatcim

Ok, so I now realize that my post doesn't really make much sense.  I was putting the formula on a text field that I didn't have in the layout (called company) and I was thinking that I had it on the Account lookup field, which of course isn't possible.  That's what I get for leaving this problem alone for a couple months, then re-visiting it. 

So I guess my basic question remains the same, which is that I want a lookup field to be automatically populated based on the value of another, but I'm not sure that this is possible with formulas. 

Jennifer BJennifer B

Hi "Waylonatcim",

Did you ever get resolution on this issue?  I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing, so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jennifer

waylonatcimwaylonatcim
I couldn't figure this one out with formulas, so I ended up using an apex trigger.