function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
cgosscgoss 

Import Metadata WSDL into Apex?

Has anyone had success in calling Salesforce metadata API functions from Apex code? We tried just simply importing the metadata WSDL using the auto-import functionality, but there was a namespace conflict.

Is this possible? Any suggestions would be most apprecaited. Right now, we're looking at putting java code on a separate webserver to programatically update the metadata of a number of orgs. We'd really like to package some code up that would update it from within the app.

Thanks!
aalbertaalbert
I have tried to do this myself. After some manual editing of the WSDL, I was able to generate the Apex through WSDL2Apex. The
code was too long so I had to break it out into 2 Apex Classes. But I got that far. One issue I ran into was the lack of support for
attributes within WSDL2Apex generated code (which the metadata api requires for some functionality).

I believe WSDL2Apex is being enhanced to support attributes in Spring '09 (upcoming release) and at that point, I hope to revisit this possibility.

cgosscgoss
That's good to hear. We are looking to update page layouts specifically. Do you recall which functionality worked/broke because of the attributes support?
fgwarb_devfgwarb_dev
This thread should help future readers: https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/ForumsMain?id=906F00000008mX4IAI