function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OnCloud9OnCloud9 

Pulling owner lookup down 2 object levels

Hello,

I don't know know the best way to approach this but hoping it can be done in an easy fashion.

Basically I have 3 objects:

1) Opportunity 

2) Site (lookup to Opportunity)

3) Tracker (lookup to Site)

I would like to have the opportunity owner display on the tracker (as a lookup).  The reason I want this done is because I want to have a workflow that if a certain field (X) changes on the tracker, I want the opportunity owner to get an alert.  

What would be the best way to handle this?  So confused..and have a meeting soon.  Please help!  Thank you in advance.

pankaj.raijadepankaj.raijade

you can simply have a formula field.

it can give you the owner name in you third level child object 

salesforce provides wizard to selet field while creating formula field

Regards,

Pankaj Raijade

OnCloud9OnCloud9

Thanks Pankaj, but the formula field only references the "OwnerId" and not the name of the owner.

I have a trigger that converts the opportunity.owner.Id into text and stores it on the opportunity object.  I can pull that name down to the Tracker, however, I can't reference that person in a workflow.  I need an active field like email or name to send an email.

Any other suggestions?  Or am I missing something?  =)

pankaj.raijadepankaj.raijade

If you are going to use workflow to send email, I think you will need email field on "Tracker " object.

for this I think you should have an email field on "Tracker" Object and update it through trigger.

Regards,

Pankaj Raijade.