function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jmalcodrayjmalcodray 

Using fields from relational look-up in workflow rule formula

First post, so why not jump in with both feet.  I am an end user that was given permission to solve a problem with how we use SF.  We are trying to automatically calculate revenue on the Opportunity object based on the type of product sold, which is entered via a relational lookup.  The look-up is done to a custom object that has several fields (revenue, an enrollment fee and a multiplier).  I want to use these 3 fields, along with another field on the Opportunity record, to build a workflow rule to calculate the revenue.  Don't know how to get access to the 3 fields on the custom object, which was already selected in a previous field, in order to build the formula for the rule.

Confused.  Me too.  I wrote it out and it appears a bit cleaner on the attached Word document.  I appreciate any guidance offered.

Regards,
Joe
JakesterJakester
Hi Joe,

I don't see an attachment, but it sounds like you could do this by creating a single roll-up summary field. Search the help for more info on them - they're pretty straightforward.
jmalcodrayjmalcodray

Hi Jakester, I appreciate the advice.  Not sure what happened to the doc I thought I attached, but here is a copy/paste:

A. I Created object called Solutions.

In addition to its name, the Object has 3 fields:  (1) enrollment fee, (2) multiplier and (3) unit price.

B. On an Opportunity entry, I have a field that does a relational lookup to this Solutions object.

I also created a new currency field on the Opportunity object called Calculated Revenue.

C. When a user goes to add a new Opportunity, they select the Solution Sold which does the table lookup noted above. 

I want to create Workflow rule for the field Calculated Revenue, noted above, that uses the following formula: 

Solutions(1) + (Solutions (2) * Solutions (3) * Opportunities (field Z))

[field Z is a numeric field that already exists on the Opportunity object]

When building the Workflow rule for the Calculated Revenue field on Opportunity object, is there a way to get the Solutions fields 1, 2, and 3 associated with the record selected in the lookup done in Step B above???

Does the roll-up summary still make sense in this case?

Thanks again.
JakesterJakester

rollup-summaries only work if you had made Solution a child table of Opportunity.

to do this, make the workflow rule criteria when the lookup to Solution (probably named something like solution__r) is changed. The formula would be simply ischanged(solution__r). the field update would be something like

Code:
solution__r.enroll_fee__c+solution__r.multiplier__c*solution__r.unit_price__c*calculated_rev

Note that you should consider standard order of operation rules (i.e., multiplication always happens before addition, but anything inside parenthesis happens before multiplication or addition)