function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RecondoRecondo 

Workflow with Email and Formula not kicking off

Hi all,

I have a workflow that sends out an email when the value changes on a support case when the field changes. The field that is set up for the workflow to look for is a formula to mirror the parent case field. TEXT(Parent.Engineering_Status_Update_c).

The workflow is set up with the evaluation criteria "When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria." The Rule criteria is designated with the field name - contains - value with a filter logic of "or" between the 5 selections.

My problem is the workflow is not working lol... Everything is activated. My theory is that since the field is a formula and it's just mirroring the parent case, the case isn't actually updating. The last modified date doesn't change ect... 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
RecondoRecondo

Update since last question

The recipiant on the email is "related contact". I have verified the workflow works through setting up a task for myself, it doesn't send out the email however. The content of the email refers to the case '{!Case.CaseNumber}" - should this be directed to the related case somehow, and what would that look like? {Related Case.CaseNumber} (or something like this?)

Thanks!

N

All Answers

Navatar_DbSupNavatar_DbSup

Hi,

You workflow will only fired when you work on the child object on which you have written the workflow. It will not fire when you are making any changes inside the parent object. Once you have made any changes in parent object that matches the rule criteria after that you have to update the child record without any modification then your workflow will fire. Since you have selected the criteria every time record is created and updated and did not match the previous criteria. So it will fire only once whenever it firstly matches the rule criteria.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved. 

RecondoRecondo

Hi S. Jain,

Makes sense, thank you.

I may have a problem in that the parent object the child refers to is also auto updated from another program we have tied to SF. So I think I can work around this in one of two ways.

1) could I create a field that has a formula in it that looks for changes and then updates the record? If so, which kind should it be? I am inept in this...

2) If it turns out the parent object does update the record when it changes, could I redirect the workflow to the parent case but have the email be directed to the child?

Thanks for your help!

Neil

RecondoRecondo

So I changed the workflow to represent the parent case status that is being edited by the system. The workflow is kicking off now. How do I get the email template to represent the child contact and case?

RecondoRecondo

Update since last question

The recipiant on the email is "related contact". I have verified the workflow works through setting up a task for myself, it doesn't send out the email however. The content of the email refers to the case '{!Case.CaseNumber}" - should this be directed to the related case somehow, and what would that look like? {Related Case.CaseNumber} (or something like this?)

Thanks!

N

This was selected as the best answer
SFDCnerdSFDCnerd

Hi,

You have created the task for your self...What did you do to send the email then?