function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mark-azmark-az 

Cross-Object Workflow Field Update/Rollup - needs 2 updates

Hello.  I am trying to roll up values from a grand-child relationship all the way up to the parent.  I can do this all the way up using roll-ups, but I thought I would be clever and try to do it with the new-ish cross object workflow.  However, I am finding that this takes 2 updates on the 'grandchild' record before it pulls up the changes.  I have read a bit in the forums, and think I understand why this is happening, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense with how wf works.

Here's my basic structure:

Parent (Profile)                            ie. 'Most Recent Grandchild Balance'

^

Child (Financial Info Summary)   ie. 'Most Recent Grandchild Balance'

^

Grandchild (Individual Accounts)  ie. Balance

I am using rollup fields to bring the 'most recent' grandchild dollar amounts up to the 'Child' level, which works ok.  I created a workflow rule that was set to run whenever the record was updated, and it would just copy the same dollar amounts up to the Parent.

By doing it this way, if I create a new 'grandchild' record, the totals at the parent level don't update right away.  If I edit the grandchild record a second time, all of the calculations work.

Looking through the 'order of operations' info, I think that the rollups happen almost last, after everything else has run.  This means that the workflow is firing, but is pushing the 'old' values up to the parent the first time, then the rollups happen.  On the second update, the correct values get pulled up.

I think to fix this I'm going to just have to give in and create the same rollups at the 'Parent' level.  This cross-object updating doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though, if you try to use it with rollups.  Can someone please agree with this or tell me I'm missing something easy?  Thanks in advance.

Navatar_DbSupNavatar_DbSup

Hi,

I don’t think this will work for deletion of child record. So I would suggest that use trigger to achieve this.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.