function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
thuskerthusker 

Validation rule for Lead Owner Change?

Is there a way to write a validation rule that can trigger an email notification whenever ownership of a lead changes?  I know I'll feel dumb after seeing it, but how would the rule be written to do this?

Leads change hands here quite a bit and people don;t always remember to check the "Send Notification" box.  I'd like to see if I can have a workflow rule that will automatically trigger an alert to the new owner without that box getting checked.

JCoppedgeJCoppedge

Create custom field "prior lead owner".  Create workflow rule every time record is changed or did not previous meet criteria: Lead owner not equal to prior lead owner.  Two workflow rules:

1. copy lead owner to prior lead owner

2. email new owner

I looked at doing this with priorvalue() and ischanged() but couldn't get it to fly... anyone care to chime in on a better way?

Only prob with this method is that it would send out 2 msgs if someone did check the box.

thuskerthusker

Very true that there is a risk of multiple notifications . . . I did consider that.  But half the time, they forget to check the box anyway.  So if I can get this to work, I can just tell people that they don't need to worry about the box as a notification goes out automatically. 

Thank you for the suggestion!