function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JulieB1JulieB1 

Web To Lead Custom Form Variables

We've been working on creating web to lead forms and we've been having much success. However, we now need not only Salesforce to capture the form data, but also another PHP script to mail the leads to other people.

Two Questions
1 - Is there a way to send the variables back to the thanks page from Salesforce so we can continue using them? Either via POST or GET or a cookie.

2 - OR - Is it possible to change the variable names of the custom form fields? The current field name is 00N500000021XlJ and that doesn't work with the JavaScript & cookie scripts we're creating as variables can't start with a number. If we could change that to Newsletter or even SF00N500000021XlJ it would work.

The web to lead forms are a great way to get information into Salesforce, but it then prevents us from continuing to use the form information on our site.

Is there any way to get form information back?

Erica KuhlErica Kuhl

Just pinged an internal expert and this was his response:

In order to do bi-directional data flow (synchronously) we need to use WebService API for Salesforce. Standard web-to-lead form doesn’t provide this functionality.

If the response can be asynchronous, then you can use a Outbound Message using Salesforce workflow to send out a SOAP call when lead is created with some information including lead ID. With this you wil need a Web Service listener and then your listener can act up on this information to either update more information in Salesforce or use PHP.

Not knowing the full use case.... but if you want to just notify some people when lead is created, you can just use Salesforce Workflow to sent a email alert with mail merge fields form Lead. No PHP needed.

Let me know if this helps answer your question.

Erica

JulieB1JulieB1

Thanks for the answers.

The API sounds like it'll work, but it'll take a lot of work to get there as I don't know APIs.

Salesforce Workflow sounds interesing, I'll look into that.

One thing Salesforce might want to look into is either not starting variables with numbers or allowing custom variables to have custom variable names. It just seems like a one way system right now. 

Thanks for the advice and I hope to find a solution!

Erica KuhlErica Kuhl
Post that idea to our IdeaExchange - see if the community will help vote it up in popularity!  Good luck!
bjonesbjones

We're in the same boat, Julie.  Please vote for this request and maybe others will do the same:

IdeaExchange - Ability to rename (or alias) custom object ID for use in Web-to-Lead/Case forms

Message Edited by bjones on 04-28-2009 11:37 AM