function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dawnzdydawnzdy 

workflow rule will not be triggered by a field update (performed by another workflow rule)?

Hi,

I want to trigger a workflow rule 1 on object A, with the Evaluation Criteria as "Every time a record is created or edited".

I have another time-based workflow rule 2 which will updatea filed on Object A.

So at a certain time, the field on Object A should be updated by workflow rule 2 and then workflow rule 1 will be triggered.

However, the result turns out to be the field was updated but  workflow rule 1 was not triggered at all. If I  manually update that field, then I can see the expected result.

Any ideas about this? I know the update of formula filed won't be considered as a edit action but this field is just a text field.

Thanks in advance!

thuskerthusker

I'll be interested to see what the feedback is . . .  I posted a similar issue in the Product Discussion board the other day. A workflow rule I have to update a field in Tasks is not updating as expected if the Task itself is created through a workflow rule--but it works fine for a manually created Task with the same conditions to trigger the rule.

thuskerthusker

I just got off the phone with SFDC support . . . they said it's a "known issue" and that the second workflow rule won't be able to act on the task generated by the first workflow because they are evaluated at the same time.  So even though Workflow #1 created a Task that met the criteria, Workflow #2 basically "can't see it" to trigger what it is supposed to do. 

All support could tell me is to post this to IdeaExchange or look at the developer boards.  Seems a rather straightforward thing that one would expect the system to be able to do--as I would guess lots of people use workflow to generate Tasks and may need to make field updates (since you cannot set all fields for Tasks when you set it up under workflow).

Anyway--if someone DOES have a workaround for this, I'd love to hear it.

Venkat PolisettVenkat Polisett

Please look at the following thread.

Link to other thread

dawnzdy wrote:

Hi,

I want to trigger a workflow rule 1 on object A, with the Evaluation Criteria as "Every time a record is created or edited".

I have another time-based workflow rule 2 which will updatea filed on Object A.

So at a certain time, the field on Object A should be updated by workflow rule 2 and then workflow rule 1 will be triggered.

However, the result turns out to be the field was updated but  workflow rule 1 was not triggered at all. If I  manually update that field, then I can see the expected result.

Any ideas about this? I know the update of formula filed won't be considered as a edit action but this field is just a text field.

Thanks in advance!

dawnzdydawnzdy

Thanks!

Just spoke with SF support and got the same answer. Hopefully it will be available in the Summer release.