function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
iSqFt_ADiSqFt_AD 

Calculating GAAP Revenue on Opportunities

Hello,

I am working through a way to track GAAP revenue on my opportunities. We are a subscription based company that has some products where revenue is recognized as a one-time upfront fee (service fees, setup fees, etc) and the rest of our products are subscription based where the revenue is recognized monthly. Here is my thought process in steps:

1. Products have a custom field that identify them as a one-time fee or a reoccuring subscription fee. 

2. There is a rollup summary field on the opportunity that sums one-time products and a second rollup summary that sums all subscription products. 

3. A custom formula field divides the subscription revenue by the contract terms, breaking it down into monthly revenue.

So now, at the Opportunity level, I have my Amount, my Upfront Revenue, and my Monthly Subscription Revenue.

My question to you is, how can I build a formula that can take the Monthly Subscription Revenue and know (based off a start and end date) how much of it should be recognized in each year? I believe there is a way to have a formula calculate how many months are left in the year, and take the Monthly Subscription Revenue and multiply the two to get the GAAP revenue for the current year.

Anyone?